SB Boo Restore?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by sashjo, Dec 12, 2006.

1. sashjo

sashjo Member

My Dad just sent me a SB #57 9' rod with 2 tips today. It is not in bad shape but does need some work. I understand that this is a low end rod. Is it worth it to pay someone to restore it? I have never fished boo. It is so slow to wiggle.

2. herl

herl Member

IF you have never fished Bamboo, don't base your opinion of it on that rod. The 57 is not known to be a good "trout" or "dry fly" taper. If you want to try casting it I would start with a 7 weight line (and probably go up from there). For a full professional restore, you are probably looking at over $200, and economically speaking that is not worth it for that rod - one in original "mint" condition might sell for $170. However, if it is of sentimental value, by all means, go for it. They may actually cast well too, I have never personally cast one. It would be certainly worth restoring yourself if you have some time. If you strip the varnish and rewrap it, Greggs in Lake Stevens can give it a nice dip finished varnish job for a reasonable price.

Eric

3. sashjo

sashjo Member

My plan is to use it for steelhead. It doesn't need a lot of work. It does need new guides. Hopefully, I can find someone who will do this for a reasonable price given the value of the rod. If not, I may attempt it myself but I would rather not practice on this particular rod.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    What makes you think it needs new guides?

Unless it's missing a couple or they're really mashed, I'd be inclined to leave it alone. I'd also strongly recommend NOT trying to refinish it yourself unless you have a crystal clear plan and fully understand all the steps involved.

If you're not sure what it takes to refinish a cane rod, here's a top-notch reference book: http://bamboorodrestorationhandbook.com/

K

5. sashjo

sashjo Member

Kent,
    Someone replaced some of the guides and did not do a good job of rewrapping. Also, the guides on 1 tip are different than the other.

Anyway looks like the problem is solved. I just found someone who will replace the guides, rewrap and revarnish for $60.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Cool. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the rod after it's fixed and you've had a chance to fish with it for a while.

K

7. sashjo

sashjo Member

Will do.

8. herl

herl Member

That's a great deal on the refinish. If you like the results and your source is looking for more buisiness, send me a PM.

Have fun with your new rod.

Eric