SBS -- Renton Community Center Cary Special

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by David Dalan, Jan 5, 2013.

1. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Here is the pattern I think I first learned to tie. Learned it at a fly tying class held in some small building just north of the Renton Public Library. WAY back in the day.

Great beginning/minimalist fly. Can be tweaked in 1000 ways (body types/colors, hackle colors, add flash, add wings, add rib, beads...the list is endless).

First shot is of all the materials I used. No hackle pliers, not scissors, but I did use head cement in final shot. I mentioned elsewhere it was good to start in size 8-10. When I pulled out the hooks I think 4-6 is a better starting place. I used size 6. Chenille and Pheasant rump hackles are the only materials. Ringneck was used, since in my childhood, on the edge of king county, dead Ringnecks were a semi regular occurrence and getting the feathers was pretty easy.
    Photo Jan 05, 9 33 40 AM.jpg

I like to start the fly like so, but you just need to attach the thread to the hook. Use enough wraps so that you can pull the loose end and break it if you're not using cutting tools.

Photo Jan 05, 9 36 54 AM.jpg

This is how I prepare the first rump hackle. I will use the tip to make the tail of the fly. Nice and long. You can sweep the lower hackles down, it will make it a bit easier to tie on the hook.

Photo Jan 05, 9 37 37 AM.jpg Photo Jan 05, 9 38 08 AM.jpg

Here it is, tied to the hook. I like tying it a long way up the shank of the hook for two reasons. First it makes a good anchor, so you won't have hackles running away when you fish (especially for beginning tiers who may not tie very tightly) and second, it keeps the body even (thickness) for the later chenille wrapping.

Photo Jan 05, 9 39 12 AM.jpg

I like to prepare the chenille by stripping off the fuzz at the end of the rope. Makes it easier to tie in securely and avoids the "fat butt" look from having to wrap over the full chenille rope. Just pinch the end of the rope between thumbnail and index finger and gently work the fibers off the end.

Photo Jan 05, 9 41 55 AM.jpg

Tied in and ready to go. If I was tying these for me I would put a couple of whips finishes in at the head, hang the bobbin on the bobbin hanger and use the rotary handle of my vise to wrap forward. But I'm "keepin' it real" and will hand wrap the body, with no extra whips.

Photo Jan 05, 9 42 45 AM.jpg

All wrapped up. I leave a little tag at the end.

Photo Jan 05, 9 43 37 AM.jpg

Strip off the fuzz like before and then finish tying in (optional).

Photo Jan 05, 9 44 21 AM.jpg

Prepare hackle #2 like hackle #1 and tie in where the fibers change direction. Make sure to strip all of the "fuzz" off the bottom of the hackle, so there is a bare stem.

Photo Jan 05, 9 46 45 AM.jpg

Fold the tip of the hackle back and tie it down. This will make it pretty hard for the hackle to come loose while trying to wrap the hackle.

Photo Jan 05, 9 47 04 AM.jpg

Now wrap the hackle making the collar of the fly. When I am done, I bring the stem back up the side of the fly facing me and I pinch it with my thumbnail so I can maintain tight wrapping pressure while tying it down with thread. There are other ways to do this, this is just my technique.

Photo Jan 05, 9 48 05 AM.jpg

Once the hackle is tied down, I will fold the stem rearward and tie it down (same way I doubled over the tip of the hackle). Makes it sturdy, IMO.

Photo Jan 05, 9 48 27 AM.jpg

Now I make a nice big head (I think in many versions, this is something of a dragonfly nymph pattern), but a beginning tier can work on making tiny heads, and you can make absurdly small heads with this pattern, with practice.

Photo Jan 05, 9 49 57 AM.jpg

Dab of head cement to finish it off. Beginning tiers may find superglue a better solution (the ones with the think application nozzle and reusable tip) as it will better compensate for loose/rough whip finishes.

Photo Jan 05, 9 51 18 AM.jpg