SBS TWO-TONE TURBO LEECH

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by GAT, Jan 20, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This is one of those fish'n flies that you probably wouldn't want to put in a frame but it does catch trout. It is based on a Turbo Leech pattern with the addition of a different color of marabou to the top of the body and tail. You can mix and match colors as you'd like. I'm using burgundy and brown colors for this one because it has served me well. I'm not really sure why I decided to tie a leech using two different colors but perhaps I'm covering two bases when it comes to what the fish see. Beats me. It was one of those experiments that worked.

Another good color combination is dark olive and light olive. You fish the fly it as you normally would any leech pattern in stillwaters. The use of a darker feather over a lighter colored feather of the same color may look like a bait fish to the trout. Maybe.

complete.jpg

Materials:

Hook: Daiichi 1270 (or any 3X long streamer hook) sizes 4-8
    Thread: Brown 8/0 (or to match the general color of the pattern)
    Bead: Gold (optional)
    Tail/Body: 1 burgundy dyed blood quill marabou feather
    Upper Tail/Body: 1 brown dyed blood quill marabou feather
    Rib: Red wire (or copper or gold)

Step 1:
    Install bead, clamp in vise, attach thread.

1.jpg

Step 2:
    Lock down a length of wire. Run the thread to the rear and stop above the hook point.

2.jpg

Step 3:
    Select a burgundy dyed marabou feather and tie in so the tail equals the hook length.

3.jpg

Step 4:
    Run the thread forward to the bead.

4.jpg

Step 5:
    Twist the butt ends of the marabou feather and wrap forward to create a body. Trim away excess butt ends.

5.jpg

Step 6:
    Select a brown dyed marabou feather and tie in the butt end behind the bead so the fibers equals the the same length as burgundy dyed tail.

6.jpg

Step 7:
    Hold the upper feather down and wrap the wire forward to the bead to create a rib and lock the feather fibers.

7.jpg

Tie off the wire. Trim the excess and whip finish the thread.

complete.jpg

With this technique, you can create multi colored leeches by using additional upper marabou in different colors. I've tied a few three-tone leeches but they don't seem to work any better than the two-tone pattern.

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    This looks very much like a Rickards Stillwater Nymph. Rickards of course would never put a bead on his and he hackles his as well. I like the look of this bug.

3. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Gene I agree. I haven't seen a fish, prey or predator otherwise, that isn't two toned.

4. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    nice tie!