Scadden Assault vs. BSI Watermaster?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kent Lufkin, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I'm a happy Watermaster owner but recently learned about the Scadden Assault, which appears to be identical except for the inflatable seat deck. I'd appreciate an unbiased report from anybody with firsthand experience with BOTH craft that can point out other comparisons between the two.

TIA,

K

2. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Mumbles should chime in any moment now...

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

There were a thread or two on this topic within the last year.

4. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

The Assault has a rockered hull fore & aft. I think it makes it more responsive than a WM.

5. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

There are now (4) Assault models to choose from.

Assault
    Assault XX
    Assault XXX
    Assualt Ultra Light

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/findyourperfectboat.html

I am a Watermaster owner, and would have to say it is a bit more "sticky" when trying to maneuver in moving water. I imagine in lakes this might actually be an advantage in the wind.

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

I have the XX and it is perfect. Someone mentioned stillwater, I met a gentleman and his son last year on Henry's lake with a WM. He rowed up to me to eye the Assault. Man that WM did not move well on stillwater at all. I have not tried moving water...YET, but if the Assault handles this well on stillwater calm and 4 foot waves, I am betting it does wonderful on moving water.
    New designs are a good thing.

7. Gregg Lundgren

Blue... Are you now singing the praises of a "frameless enclosed hull" boat? I thought you had posted earlier that you were an advocate of "front entry" boats over "closed hull" for various reasons. I guess a Scadden new design is indeed a good thing!

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Kent, there is a new contender in that market. Check out the new Outcast Commander. http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=43

It is essentially a Kayak-Watermaster/Assault hybrid. It has rocker like the Assault but is pointy like a kayak so it should move through the water very well. It has built-in oars like the other two.

I have an older version of this boat (sans oars) and it is one of my favorite watercraft (and you know I have a lot). The only thing I have wanted to change is I wished it had oars and now it does! They have changed some other things, some I like and some I don't but I am hoping to try out the model as soon as I can. I have a Kodiak, an old Tote-N-Float and have briefly tried the Assualt. If the new Outcast handles like my old one, I can tell you that it will be my favorite of all of them.

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

I still have my open end boats, but I ended up guiding on stillwater last year and the Assault put "US" right on top of the action and I can carry the boat fully loaded by myself.

[​IMG]

Plus, they are very stabil for standing. Just an awesome design. and what is cool, is without another person, you can sit at either end and move around more so able to stay out on the water longer.

10. Gregg Lundgren

Intriguing Sue! Please post a report after opportunity knocks.

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Interesting...I use to own one of these....hmmmmmmmm

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/1reviews/scadden/escalade.html

12. Gregg Lundgren

Blue... Thanks for the report on the Assault XX. Can you provide Kent (and the rest of us) more information on Assault XXX?

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Three man is all I know. I haven't seen it yet. He is out of town this month. Should be at the Washington show soon.

Great thing is, it can be ONE person, two or three with easy.

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Kent, I had and loved the Kodiak. When my friend Rob saw the Assault at a show and told me I needed to check it out I did. The rocketed hull appealed to me greatly. I found the Assault to handle better in moving water so I sold the Kodiak to a friend and forum member. Two great boats. I find the inflatable seat more comfortable. I needed to add more d rings to add a cargo net and use cataract mini magnum oars over the Scadden river oars. If you arrange a fishing outing with one of the few locally that have the Assault you can do a side by side.

15. landlocked

landlocked New Member

I've owned several Watermaster Grizzlies over the years. The rocker issue is mitigated as you gain weight and let the boat "naturally hinge" midships.:thumb:

16. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I made the Kodiak seat very cushy by using a Thermarest Trail Seat that I velcro and clip into the standard seat. The Kodiak with the expedition and the anchor mount options has a bunch of well positioned D rings though. I haven't had an instance yet where I needed more maneuverability. I haven't compared to an Assault but the WM is definitely slower than a 'toon on a float.

17. sroffe

sroffe Member

I've always like my Wilderness Access, with the inflatable seat, it's very easy to pack and carry in my truck. The Assault XX is very enticing to carry two people.

18. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

My Kodiak had the expedition package and BSI installed extra D rings too. I modeled that pattern when I added D rings to my Scadden Assault. My inflatable pad on my Kodiak's seat base board was not as comfortable as the fully inflatable seat on the Scadden. The full 360* footprint of the Kodiak on the water tends to add some stability, but does seem to slow the boat down. The rocker of the Assault really improves the handling and tracking, IMHO, and I've stood on the inflatable seat of mine and found it stable enough to fish from. Both are great boats. I'm happy with the Assault and I know my buddy is happy with the Kodiak he bought from me.

19. Hey, Mum..............er, Ed, How do these boats work on still water? Are they comparable to
    pontoons as far as rowing and dealing with wind? The ability to pack to a small size really appeal
    to me for travel and use on bigger lakes with the oars. Previous experience with the old two man
    yellow rafts has me sceptical.

20. Blue

Blue Active Member

Mine works great on stillwater, which is mostly what I fish. I bought the XX so I can take clients out as well. They track great. Like a closed end Zodiak style. Even works great with a gas or electric motor., but that is my experience, Mums may differ.
    I am amazed how quick these move under oar power. I was fishing next to a gentleman in a WM last year at H. He commented how quick and easy my boat appeared to move. He said his was sluggish.