Scadden Assault Xx Vs Watermaster Kodiak

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by chrome/22, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Thank you for your answering. Having both the Assault and the XX, but I have never float a WM. Friend has one though, have to swap some day.
    How much bigger is the XX than the Watermaster?

2. SpiffySteve

SpiffySteve New Member

The Assault is not mine unfortunately and we never measured the boats. Based just on my impression from riding in it the Assault XX is maybe 6 inche's longer and maybe 2" wider. It handles like it is the smaller boat. The main difference is the seat layout is much better with the Water Master having more open space in front of the oarsman with the back area being a tight fit for an adult and gear while he Assault XX has the front seat and room behind the oarsman for gear

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Thank you. The website has the Kodiak listed at 8' 10" which puts it more in the Assault size at 8'6". The XX is 10' long and with the front area being inflatable, it would feel maybe shorter. I wonder if you would like the Assault. Thanks for your review. Very thorough.

4. Panther

Panther Member

Yeah, I think that the Watermaster Kodiak vs the Scadden Assault is the more accurate "apples to apples" comparison. The Assault is probably quicker, but a little more affected by a strong wind. It would be interesting to hear views on which boat is more comfortable, and whether or not one is made from tougher "fabric".

Blue likes this.
  5. SpiffySteve

SpiffySteve New Member

I am very surprised that the Assault XX is that much larger than the Kodiak. It was the boat I used and it is noticeably faster and more nimble than the Kodiak. It also is much more affected by the wind and difficult to control with just fins.

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    The length could make a difference with wind. The diameter of the toon too. Amazingly the WM is Tube diameter (sides): 15” Tube diameter (front): 20” Tube diameter (back): 20" The Assault xx is 13" diameter. Less wind surface.

I have used the Assault and the XX in some horrific wind and waves which of course takes some adjusting to row in to shore. Never having tried a Watermaster, I look to you for comparison. I see the WM more of a big tube footprint where the Assaults more a pontoon two. I wasn't aware of the diameter of the WM though. That can explain the sluggishness.

We need more reports like this one. Thanks again!

7. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

The drag resistance to wind isn't caused by the diameter of the tube. It is cause by the affective area the wind has on the craft minus the drag resistance (friction) that is caused by the craft being in contact with the water. IE- If you stick both boats flat in your driveway and look at the assault compared to the WM. You will see the rocker in the boat raises atleast to the top or above the 20" diameter of the tube of the WM. So the affective area is larger than the WM with a smaller tube diameter. Also the drag resistance is less because the rocker of the boat keeps the bow off the water.

This is why the reviews of the assault are that it is quicker and more nimble and easier to row (less drag resistance on the water). But you also get it is hard(er) to control with fins (wind affects the craft much more) because it doesn't hold position as well as the WM. Its a give and take.

Hope I explained that well enough?

8. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    I own and use both boats. I'm not sure if the terms used in the explanation are spot on, but I do agree in concept. Steenz290's generalization of all the reviews expressed do come close to matching my own(for what it's worth).

SpiffySteve likes this.