Scadden Assault

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by JackJester, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Saw Bill Aubrey's info in the classifieds regarding the new Assault. Holy crap! The Assault is a closed in Renegade. Slightly shorter and lighter, but basically a Renegade. I have some things to think about. I love my Rampage and I am close to pulling the trigger on a Renegade for the wife for this years BC lake season and some JD floats. What to do? What to do? Seems to be better than a watermaster, but of course Dave Scadden's awesome marketing skills could make it more than it is. Here's the specs:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2011catalog/specs.html

Opinions?

2. Jack, did you check out the you tube? The boat rocks!!! Dave had it on sale at Puyallup for $999 with some freebies including bags, roller duffel and upgraded seat. He is selling a bunch of them.

3. today is the last day that you can get it for the sportsmans price of $999 i'll defenatily be ordering mine today. i will do a report once i get it and am able to use it.

4. If they kept the <1,000 price point then I think this would be worth a shot. Hopefully this will for BSI to lower their ridiculous pricing on the watermasters.

Otherwise - I seriously doubt the fabled "rocker" hull is going to give you much a performance benefit over a watermaster. Nice boats though - I'd take one. It'd be killer if we could get one in the gear program to put them through some side by side comparisons.

One thing I AM NOT sold on - is the inflatable seat on the scadden. Are they seperate ballasts for eat little tube? Because if they're not - and you pop your seat - you're literally sh*t out of luck. Can you imagine trying to float down a river in a little plastic hammock like that? I wonder what the heck they were thinking with that.

5. video isn't embedding for some reason. so here;

6. I got one at the show, should be here in a few days. I happen to know of another member who also got one. They will be making appearances at the Hoh Down for those who want to inspect. As for a comparison to the watermaster, I think it is a bit lighter, does not have quite as much capacity behind the seat, and I DO think the rockered tubes will make this a better performing craft.

7. Never floated on a Scadden - tell me, does the tapered tube up front give anyone pause about a full-size guy standing up front?

8. Derek, if you mean standing on the "deck/seat", I would maybe do it in calm, still water. But, I really can't see a reason, with my Irish luck, to take a chance. Jesse, the seat has one valve. It is similar to my Wilderness Access and the Waterstrider and the original Abel Travel Craft and no complaints or problems with any of those to my knowledge. My friends have the older Travel Crafts, well used, and no issues. These materials are really tough. I have had my boat about 6-7 years and have used it a lot. It's gone over and bounced off rocks in Washington, Oregon and Montana and looks brand new. I much prefer them over the board of the WM. The seat sits higher off the water than the bottom of the tubes. As to the rockers, look at the videos. Dave is rowing upstream at a great clip and much as I love my boat, it will not match the performance of the rockered design.

9. Bill-I looked closely as the clip of Dave rowing upstream and I really think he is in a back eddy so it looks like he is rowing upstream-I may be wrong, but that was the impression I got. That said, I looked at these at the Puyallup show and was impressed-I think it is a step up from the WM's. I did buy the pontoon to make my McKenzie frame into an Avenger. That gives me the option of a one or two man Avenger or a two man McKenzie. Rick

10. Rick, the same thing occured to me about the eddy. I would like to have seen more video of the boat's performance when he needed to really lay into the oars to significantly move the boat as opposed to just small correction strokes once he was already lined up.

11. Jesse, Scadden is using that seat design on ALL of these models: Challenger, Rampage, Renegade, Escape and on the Assault. He didn't reinvent the wheel just for the Assault. The design is the same as Bill stated above: One single air chamber with 5-6 baffles and one HR valve. One reason I believe his rocker design wil be better is that less of the boat will be in the water at any given time: look at offshore racing boats and the multiple steps they have on the sides and they use knotched transom pads. All this gives these boats the ability to trap air and have less of the boat in the water. The unlimited hydroplanes do the same. This is a 'loose' comparison, but I believe a correct one: less raft touching the water means less drag and a much higher coeffecient. Plus I think the forward rocker will give the raft a superior recovery area when coming off a 'boulder' and dropping into a hole. I've had my Abel for 8+ years and looking at it will get another 8. It was the perfect raft for me then and still is, but if I was in the market for a new one I would look at the assault first.

12. Derek,

Dave specifically mentioned to me that one distinct benefit of the assault over the renegade is that it is much more stable when standing. The video does show him standing at times in slowly moving water. As for those with questions/concerns about durability of the seat, the material is a very heavy bladderless white-water raft material, nothing like your typical personal water craft.

Rob

13. Dave also told me that the Assault is more for Rivers than the Renegade or Rampage. You can use either on either and they are still in my opinion, some of the best, but he stated the same as I have, that on still water, the enclosed front can be a pain. The hubby has the Outlaw X5 with a Gas motor so he runs it turned around with the enclosed as the front of the boat (like a Zodiak) He doesn't like the enclosed front.
    I have no experience with either, but I see the Rocker design of the Assault being much nicer on white water that the thicker front end which to me would be more like a plow...but, like I said I have never tried either.

14. I'm trusting my buddy Rob, he's fondled the boat at the show. I might have to drop in at his place when his arrives...to drool!

15. Talking to Dave about this boat, is that it's not for everyone. I love my X5, and when I use the Nissan motor, I turn the frame around so that the open end is in the back. Stillwater fishing is what I do 95% of the time, and maybe it's just me, and I'll try to explain it without confusing anybody (or me for that matter).
    I find it easier and more efficient to fish out of the X5 with the open end in front of me. Just like if I'm in the Renegade.
    If I'm in the X5 and it's turned around Zodiac style- open end at the rear- I can't get my rod tip in the water when stripping in a fly. The front of the boat is out too far. It might be different in the Assault because it's shorter. To net a fish, I have to do it over either side. Can't do it in front, since I have the open end in the back. Now if I river fished more, maybe I'd think about the Assault. But for river fishing, I have my choice between the X5 or the Renegade.
    Dave (and Rob mentioned it) did say it's more stable to stand up in it and fish than the Renegade is because of the enclosed front and rear.
    And sportsman is correct in his assessment because of the boat being rocker-ed at both ends, you'll have less drag (less boat) in the water than a WM or others like it.
    If it rows like my Rene, than it's very quick and easy. The interesting thing about rowing, is you don't think you're going as fast as your really are. With the X5 because of the frame (or any other kickboat I've owned), when I row, I can feel myself pulling/pushing it through the water. On the Renegade, you don't notice a lot of resistance when you row. But then again, maybe it's just my imagination.

16. if i get my assualt the weekend before feb 16 when the skagit between marblemount and rockport close's i will take it out on the river, and anybody with a watermasters wants to come we could compare the pros and cons of each on the river.

17. Mojo, good point about the closed in front and Stillwater. I also fish Stillwater much more often than rivers and it's so important to get the rod tip pointed down when trolling a bugger or carey special. It might be hard to get a good rod angle with a closed in front on the boat. I think I'll stick with the Renegade but I have a couple months to think it over yet. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 either way so if price is going up then I'm definitely out.

18. I think this boat is definitely more of a river craft, and more likely for transporting the angler from run to run rather than fishing on the move (except for river like the Yak). Landing a fish from the seated position will be difficult without a long-handled net. Trolling on stillwater is not going to be easy. However that's what I have my SFC for. I can foresee this taking the place of my pram for winter lake fishing - should be fine for indicator chironomid fishing and will allow standing as needed. Besides, the ability to at least use your feet makes it better than the pram for trolling, though not nearly as good as an open front craft. As for a price of < $1000, you have looked at the list price, correct? Dave said the puyallup show was the only one he sold them at with such a low price.

19. Rob, you should be able to use a regular net if you bring the fish in on either side.
    As for the price, you guys got a killer deal for $1000.

20. You guys made a couple good points that I didn't consider and take for granted with my Abel. Using the Yak as an example, I will fish a run and not leave the raft: just stand up, let the boat swing around and cast across the seams...but I leave the tip LOW and get a lot of hookups as I'm stripping in...the shape of the Assault might prevent this. When fishing lakes I hold the rod off to the side and work the fly....get most of my hookups doing this...or I lay the rod across the front of the raft and hook the reel with the stripping apron. The rod is pointed down just a little and a foot out of the water, something that will be difficult with the Assault. Landing a fish will be the same: usually the fish is hooked on one side or the other and when I can see that I bring it in on the same side. I still think these are minor details and the guys that bought them won't be sorry!! When I bought my Abel I set it up in the den: that was the first step in changing it from a 'Floating' platform into a 'Fishing' platform.