Scadden Outlaw Assault - A Quick Review

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Matt Roelofs, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Matt Roelofs

Matt Roelofs Member

Media:
    So I had my first river float in my new Outlaw Assault yesterday. We floated the Yak from just below the Thorp diversion dam (private launch) to Rinehart. The fishing was OK, not great, but a few fish willing to play. The weather was outstanding -- low to mid 90s and sunny -- wet wading / rowing / finning was the order of the day.

My boat is pretty stock right now - the only addition I for now is a Scotty anchor lock and 10lb anchor (probably too heavy) on the back. I only really use the anchor to hold the boat on the beach, so a rear mount works fine. I have the standard aluminum oars.

Overall I am pretty damn impressed. The boat scoots around very quickly with the oars and is easy to spin and maneuver with fins. It does feel like I would like slightly longer oars and may look at upgrading to the carbon fiber ones if I can add a bit of length as well. There wasn't much heavy water to speak of - just a few wave trains and one more exciting section going through the boat notch in the low dam just before the take out. The glue-on oarlocks performed very well...even when trying to ferry across in reasonably heavy current. I'm not of a whitewater guy (yet)...so I don't plan to run anything were I would be worried about them being too wimpy.

In terms of accessories I'm quite pleased as well. The saddle bags, in particular, are outstanding! The ability to use them as rod holders, keep a barley pop close at hand and swallow gobs of gear was quite nice. The seat is OK - though I was glad to get out and fish on foot to give my bum a rest from time to time.

Previously I've used a Southfork pontoon and a Watermaster (both of which I liked a great deal as well) and the Assault is like a cross between the two. The rocker is definitely noticeable compared to the WM - the boat moves and spins more like a pontoon. For moving water I think I like this better - but when I used the boat for a little lake fishing last week, I was wishing for either the pontoon or the WM because the big rockered front end gets in the way of where I'd like to point my rod - especially when kicking and trolling.

I plan to add a few more accessories in the future - a Scotty glue-on mount or two for the anchor and the aforementioned fancy oars. I do wonder if I shouldn't have went with the XX version for more storage and the ability to bring along a buddy, but maybe I'll start saving my pennies to add to the quiver...

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Try inflating your seat a little softer, not actually soft. You may like the feel on the backside.

3. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

"maybe I'll start saving my pennies to add to the quiver..."

That's the spirit. And a great report.

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I agree with Ed about the seat, don't inflate it to real hard and it is more comfortable.

I also agree about the front rocker being a bit of a pain when fishing lakes, and you do sit a little lower than you do in a pontoon. But after fishing for awhile the front rocker is less of an issue and the portability and ease of movement make up for some of the inconveniences of not having an opening in the front. I added a stripping apron (without which I had a lot of trouble with tangling my line) and enjoyed my lake fishing much more. I have also added two scotty rod mounts, one fore and one aft. I am using the strap on anchor holder still. I added multiple D-rings in case I want to take some gear on an overnighter.

Wayne

5. Tuolumne flyfisher

Tuolumne flyfisher New Member

6. Tuolumne flyfisher

Tuolumne flyfisher New Member

Thanks for the posts. I use an old Scadden inflatable kayak and really like it but find that it is too short and doesn't track well while paddling. I'm worried about lake fishing with the new Assault because of so much in the way out front so you can't fin troll/strip very well. Looks good for the river though.

Also, how does it do on a long haul back to shore against the wind when you get caught in wind on a lake?

Thanks

7. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

A hell of a lot better than a water master, my beloved Wilderness Access or float tube. That is when the rockered hull really shines. Tested and verified on the wind tunnel otherwise known as Leech Lake, and other locations.

8. mojo

mojo Member

I'm with Ed and Wayne, I have the Assault XX and use an LVM pump to inflate it. I top off the toons wth a KPump, but leave the seat where the LVM quits inflating it. I do top off the front seat area though. During the course of the day, I might even let some air out of my seat. Just a quick push on the valve. Makes it much more comfortable ride.
    The wife has the Assault and we both have the Litespeed oars. Big difference between the pack oars that come with it and the longer Litespeed ones.

9. Matt Roelofs

Matt Roelofs Member

Media:
    I haven't had the 'pleasure' of trying to row across a lake against the wind, but I would guess that Bill is right that the rockered shape would help a lot in that scenario. I do know that the boat feels much lighter on the water than the flatter rafts (like WM).

Also, after a couple of more floats I am more convinced than before that I will upgrade to the fancy oars when I get the chance.