Scadden Outlaw Renegade-will I have to sleep on it in the Garage is the question?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Bob Nix, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Bob Nix too much stuff to know

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So after a day at the Sportsman show in Puyallup I took the plunge. I ordered the Outlaw Renegade from North Fork Outfitters (Scadden Design) this afternoon from Bruce at the show. Man I hope it is as good too me as what I watch and read about Dave's boats. I may have to sleep out in the garage on it for awhile till my wife gets over the cost. I am just one hell of a big guy and this pontoon should take me anywhere I want to go. Now I need to wait 3 weeks or so and then I get to hit the lakes and rivers. Thenice thing is that I can put it in the back of the Honda and be ready. Well if any of you have one of his boats I sure would like to know that I made a great choice, oh and maybe borrow a blanket, for its cold in the garage. Off to the grande Ronde tomorrow, please oh please let it be a great weekend so that I can catch my first Steelhead on the Spey.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,503 / 9
    There is some watercraft, spey fishing and steelhead excitement in this post. Hope all goes well and the time spent in the garage is minimal but comfortable. Congratulations, let us see that GR fishing report!
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Thanks for the warning, bcnix00. I have to watch my spending. I will avoid the Puyallup Sportsman's Show, as a harsh measure necessary to prevent any chinks in my armor from being exploited.:clown:
  4. Brian White Recovering Bugmeister/Troutlandish?

Scadden boats are very nice - I have one and I think you are going to like yours. The Renegade looks cool, and great news - if you have to sleep in the garage maybe you'll be able to see your Renegade from your spot on the garage floor. Then you can at least have sweet dreams.....
  5. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    If I didn't already have a few water masters, I'd be taking a hard look at the renegade. Nice looking boats, for sure.
  6. Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

Gig Harbor, WA
    Hello bcnix00,

I was there Thursday night and it took everything I had to walk out that night. Needless to say I woke up this morning and ended up going back, couple weeks and I too will have one. Can't wait to get out with it and see just how good it is.

Craig
  7. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    I almost pulled the trigger on one of those...congrats and hope your garage is heated.
  8. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Yeah, a heated garage helps when you want to make love to it.
    You could always do what I did; wanted a 2-man like the McKenzie Drifter and showed it to her, she said "Hell no! I want my own." So I got 2 Sky's. It's only money and I got a partner.
  9. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    I have the perfect solution for you. It'll save your marriage and you won't be in the garage. Keep it in my garage. I'll take REA: good care of it.
  10. Bob Nix too much stuff to know

Renton, WA
    Well it is on order. I don't even have to sleep in the garage. My wife is way cool. Although I do see a lot more clothes and craft stuff in the house since I returned from the Grande Ronde. The Ronde did me no favors this time. I hope to figure this out someday. It was great down there though. Saw 6 fish caught from Gear guys and one was my bro-in-law. Going back down a few times before April is the plan. Maybe have my Renegade by the time I hit the water again. Thursday on the Sky and I will see if I can get lucky.
  11. Davbaker Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Keep us up to date - sounds like a great boat. I am considering a pontoon boat for the Yak, and after reading your post yesterday looked at the NFO website and watched the videos. The Renegade looks really tempting.
  12. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    My brother ordered the Avenger XX from the show. I have a McKenzie Drifter and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The cool thing about the Avenger is that you can go frameless as a large one man boat, with the ability to stand and cast on the inflated deck, or you can put the two man frame on it and it is just like my McKenzie-very cool design as are all the Scadden boats-you will love yours! Rick
  13. Bob Nix too much stuff to know

Renton, WA
    The BOAT is here! Wow that was quick. "shoot it is the wrong color". So these are the emotions of todays delivery. Besides the wrong color there is no pump or seat in the package that arrived. It will take a couple weeks to get the red one and the seat and pump but I can wait. It's just a good excuse to stay off the cold water for now.
  14. Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

Gig Harbor, WA
    So what color did you get, I'll be curious to see what shows up when mine gets here.

Thanks
    Craig
  15. Bob Nix too much stuff to know

Renton, WA
    It was a very nice blue if you are a Bluejay. I am a Husker so red is much better to me. And more obvious to power boats.
  16. Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

San Francisco, CA, USA
    I'm curious... how do you plan on handling stripped in flyline in that craft? I used to fish from an Outcast FatCat float tube, and even though it had some semblance of a stripping apron, I got really tired of fly line tangling on everything. Since I have been fishing from a pram that has been far less of a problem.

The Outlaw Renegade is quite tempting though. As a geezer who lives up a flight of stairs in SF, I get pretty tired of humping that 100# pram up and down the stairs even though I have rigged a block & tackle to do it. The idea of a sub 30# package that I could do my stillwater fishing from appeals to me, but I wonder about line handling. I know Scadden makes some stripping baskets, but there don't seem to be D rings on the Outlaw Renegade in the area they'd be needed to attach the basket.

I also like the frameless idea for much quicker setup and teardown and less crap to tangle the line on. I almost bought a Skykomish Sunrise before I bought my pram, but had difficulties with NFO that caused me to bail on the order. Nice guys, but they do have their problems with getting the boats out the door correctly (as evidenced by your first misshipment).
  17. bigfun4me Team Infidel

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    I found the cargo net from my old car stretched across the tubes of my Northwest Express acted as a great line catcher. It might work on some of the new Scadden toys.
  18. Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

San Francisco, CA, USA
    I emailed NFO and they said their rectangular stripping apron will work on that boat. Not sure I see how, maybe by strapping it around the supports for the oarlocks.
  19. Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

San Francisco, CA, USA
    I ordered one of these with the stripping apron this morning. They said I'll have it next week.
  20. Bob Nix too much stuff to know

Renton, WA
    I really want mine back. I am not sure about the line problem. I am so new to fly fishing and never dealt with a pontoon or a tube so I may be ordering up the apron also. I am real anxious since the local rivers close tomorrow.