Scadden Outlaw vs Watermaster

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by kayakangler, Mar 10, 2009.

1. kayakangler

kayakangler New Member

I'm pretty much set on a Watermaster, but just discovered the Scadden Outlaw. It looks pretty sweet in the video. I'm wondering if it's different enough from the Watermaster to warrant buying it instead? It looks to me as though the Watermaster would be easier to fin and respond better in moving water. The Scadden website doesn't have a ton of info on that craft. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has used it or both the Outlaw and Watermaster.

2. SWI

SWI New Member

I have the outlaw but I'm not sure I would recommend it because it is very heavy and I'm pretty tired from kicking (fins) it around, by the end of the day. It has a movable floor which is nice for stretching but not is sort of narrow for casting. It is also difficult to keep in a straight line while using a motor. I think it is great for rivers but not so good for still water. I don't know anything about the Watermaster so can't give you any opinion on that rig.

3. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Look at the Wilderness Express ESP, too. Very similar to the Watermaster, except a little different material and an inflated seat as opposed to a hard covered board seat, and therefore a little lighter. I have been very happy with mine.

4. tomc

tomc Member

I was not able to find the "Wilderness Express ESP" online could you post a link to it please.
    Thanks,
    Tom C.

5. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Comparing apples and oranges. The two boats are hugely different. The Watermaster is much more portable than the Outlaw. The Outlaw is one of those (valiant) efforts at trying to come up with that do-everything boat.

7. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

I think your assessment that the Watermaster would be easier to fin and respond to moving water is correct. The Scadden looks a little clunky to me. I think I'd rather have two boats than one Scadden.

I also have the Access boat, and use it mostly for still water, but, have had it down the Yakima. It is a very easy boat to carry to and from the water. (Lenice and Nunnly), tracks well while rowing, and a lot easier to kick around than a float tube. I love it.

Sam

8. tomc

tomc Member

Thanks Mike, I have been thinking of something like this for a while, and did not know these guys were around. I will probably get one when I get to the next jobsite.
    Tom C.

9. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I have a Scadden 2 man pontoon and it is great for what is designed for (I even use it with only one seat for river fishing with fins and it tracks and turns very easily with fins on the Yak or Methow). I have a friend who has two Watermasters (almost better than me owning it!) and it is the easiest boat I've used for finning in a river. Took it down the Bitterroot above Angler's Roost last September and it was great! It also packs down small, making it an ideal one man lake/river fishing craft.

10. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

I just received a 2 seat Scadden Outlaw and assembled it last weekend. It looks just fine to me. Although the instructions for assembly are virtually non existent, directions for Skykomish are provided. The boat is well made. I called Dave Scadden and he was helpful with my questions. It is a big boat, but I do not think to heavy, as it lighter than my one man SS frame Southfork. I will haul on the upper deck of my FF trailer and had no problem getting it up to that level alone.

I'll run a trolling motor and a 5HP Honda 4 cycle (60 Lb) on it for fishing the sound around Bainbridge and Hood Canal. I primarily purchased the boat for E. side lakes and fishing with my wife. Also for some multiday trip on the lakes in Jellystone Park. I feel the boat is well thought out, well made as the reversable frame easy to change and the Zodiac style set up is easy to assemble. Kudo to Dave S. for thinking outside the box.

One thing is for sure, I would not want to kick this baby while alone. I'll use my SF and Supercat for that program. To date, the Supercat is the best one man boat I have used in 35 yrs on lakes all over the USA.

Good fishing, Glenn

11. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Glenn,

Probably a dumb question, but what is an FF trailer?

Bill

12. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

Awhile ago I purchased an 8' steel trailer for a Spring Creek pram. Got it home to my woodshop and started dreaming on ways to convert it to a more functional rig. I wanted to be able to carry the pram, pontoon boat, kicker, and a couple of belly boats. So...about 3 months later I was done. Built and double desker with 8' lengthwise side box about 3' above the bed. Now I have room for several rods, 2 pairs of oars, etc. It is all built from White Ash and then sealed. Fully lockable. Everything stays inflated. With the Scadden, five guys can go with the rigs and all have something to float in.

FF= Fly Fishing!

You'll like the Scadden boat, I had it out on the sound near my home last night. Just worked perfectly. 5 HP Honda powers it nicely to get to the spot, then drift/row for fishing. Need waders though. Being able to kick works well for staying lined up on the drift. I also carried a small drogue (sea anchor) tethered off the stern to keep me lined up. Rotating seats are also very handy.

Good luck, Glenn

13. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

Check out Water Strider also.

http://www.waterstrider.com/