Scandi Short on 11'6" 6/7 Batson

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by natron, Oct 7, 2012.

1. natron

natron Yep

Been playing around with the Blue Boy a little lately but have an old Orvis multitip spey line on it that I'm not loving. Was thinking about trying a Rio scandi short on it (maybe 425gr). I know a few of you guys have these rods, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nate

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I had a couple of rods built for my nephews, 12'6", 6 wt. and wound up putting Ambush lines on them. They cast extremely well. You might want to try one of those. I have a 480 on my 7 wt. TCX. It's very well so that may help with your grain window.

3. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    I had that rod for a while. RIO 5/6 AFS [340gr @ 34'] was ultra sweet on it. With a shorter [compact] head I wouldn't think over 360 'ish' area. 420gr was skagit load.

Great blanks.. best of luck.

B

4. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have 7 and 8 wt scandi shorts and I see no reason why a 6wt scandi short wouldn't cast/fish just fine with a on that rod. They are a nice hybrid between a full on skagit line and a longer scandi shooting head and cast tips remarkably well, even up to 10' of t-11.

5. natron

natron Yep

Thanks guys. Just bought a 370 gr. Will let you know how it goes.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Any line around 400 gr should cast well on that rod. Mine gets a lot of use, big water and small. I use a 400 Skagit on mine, also recently got a 360 Vector, which is very nice for floating line work.

Sg

7. natron

natron Yep

Thanks SG. I have an ARC1287 that I usually use for throwing skagits with tips, but I really like that little Batson, so I think that I'll try your suggestion and pick up a 400 gr Skagit flight as well. What kind of tips have you been able to throw with that, 10ft T-11 or heavier?

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I mostly use 10' fast sink poly leaders by Airflow. Or 10' of T-8. 400 gr is not a very heavy head, and while it will probably throw heavier tips than I've tried with it, I like to keep things comfortable. I use a heavier rod when I want to cast heavier tips.

Sg