Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Col.Buckshot, Apr 23, 2012.

  1. Col.Buckshot New Member

    Posts: 6
    Fort Worth TX
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm interested in a glass rod for sale that is described as having a "scarfed" tip. Can anyone tell me what that means? Thanks
  2. Patrick Gould Active Member

    Posts: 2,231
    Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +631 / 0
    A scarf is a long beveled glue joint. It has to be long to prevent a hard spot in the action.
  3. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

    Posts: 423
    Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    I had always thought scarfed was a term and method only used in connection with bamboo rods. I had no idea that they have scarfed fiberglass rods.

  4. Tom Bowden Active Member

    Posts: 419
    Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    I've done scarf joints on bamboo rods, both permanent and to tape sections of a rod together, and there's no way you could do this with a hollow fiberglass or graphite rod.

    When a fiberglass or graphite rod section breaks, you can glue a smaller diameter rod section inside the broken parts to attach them. The old Shoff's store in Kent used to sell small sections of fiberglass intended for this purpose. I've never heard the term "scarf joint" used to describe this process, but it could be what the seller of the rod is referring to.