Scientific Anglers Sharkskin Trout WF

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, May 31, 2013.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    My old SA GPX 5 wt. line was looking a little checked and cracked so I replaced it with the SA Sharkskin Trout WT. I've fished it a couple times now on the Deschutes. The Sharkskin really does have impressive shooting characteristics and I was able to make nice roll casts shooting line. Maybe I was able to roll cast so easily because of all the spey casting I've done for the last year, but I think the new line made a big difference. But I had a hard time keeping the tip floating. It seemed like I had to keep dressing it about every 15 minutes. Used the SA line dressing. Used a mono leader, same as before. The old GPX seemed to float much better with that reservoir tip. What am I doing wrong?

2. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I loved my sharkskin(RIP)

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Put some super glue on the tip. Will help keep the water out.

5. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    But it's got a welded loop on the leder end, same as the GPX.

6. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Media:
    Something doesn't sound right. I have a few of these lines and they all float quite well. Perhaps you have a defective line. I would suggest taking it back and exchanging it.

DKL

7. Doug G

Doug G Member

My son has been using this line all year long, in Montana. His only criticism of the line is that it doesn't break through ice on his guides as easily as other lines have for him in the past. Otherwise, he loves the line.

8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Sharkskin... one of SA's few technical blunders... the Vega and Pinto of fly lines. I'm happy to hear you like it, but I did not. Not only made the most annoying noise, but all those micro aerodynamic cavities picked up more crud than a Yakima River clean up.

9. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

I've heard this criticism repeatedly. My advice is to give you sharkskin a real good cleaning, try it out again to see if that makes a difference, and clean it after eery use.

10. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    My vendor, Feather Craft, now has told me I shouldn't use Sa line dressing on the SA premium lines, that I should use the rough side of the cleaning pad to refurbish the line.

11. kmac

kmac Active Member

It was recommended to me by the guys at a fly shop in Ellensburg to use this line. They believe it's more durable than Rio (I've always liked Rio lines myself). Needed to line up a new Battenkill reel to use with my new Redington CT, so I bought the line. It casts nice but, that noise is very annoying as it goes thru the guides. I like a certain amount of serenity while fishing which is why I don't use click-pawl reels. If I had known how noisy this line is I wouldn't have bought it. For now I'll just have to live with it. I guess it's not so bad, it isn't as noisy as a click-pawl. Good to know about the other issues you noted. I've only used it once so I'll have to keep up on the line cleaning.

12. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Can't remember the "year" I last cleaned a line. Remember how well the lines cast after cleaning though. Think I'll clean all my lines in the next few days. Glad Paul brought it up...?

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I cleaned it right off my reel. Having a line that requires that much added maintenance for what I found to be no appreciable gain is not worth it.