Scientific Anglers Spey Skagit Line System

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by freestoneangler, Dec 22, 2011.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    I'm using a SA Spey Skagit line system (ST-8, 550 grain) for my Sage 8136, Reddington CDL 10/12 outfit. By most accounts, this seemed like a good option for a rookie. It has the following 15 foot tips:

Floating
    Type I Clear (1.5-2 ips)
    Type III Wet (3-5 ips)
    Type IV Wet (6-8 ips)

I've only used the floating and the IV thus far and seem to manage reasonable casts -- that is I think the line is loading the rod pretty well. I see a ton of information on specialized spey lines and tips, but could use some advice on answering the following questions :confused::

1.) Is the Type IV a heavy enough tip to reach the correct depths on say the Hoh or Queets during normal winter flows?

2.) If not, is there another tip I should consider that could be used with this line?

3.) If this line is really limiting or not optimum for this rod, what would you recommend?

Thanks
  2. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    That Type IV tip should serve you well most of the time. Depending on depth and current speed, you may use the Type III perhaps a third of the time. There are several things you can do to extend the versatility of a single sink tip: Change between a weighted or unweighted fly; cast upstream, or straight across, or quartering downstream; don't mend after casting, or do (don't overdo it); either let the line come tight to your rod tip quickly or lead your line with the rod tip toward your side of the stream; step down between casts or while the line is swinging.