Scotty Triple Rod Holder for an Assualt XX?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by JesseC, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +725 / 0
    Has anyone used the Scotty triple rod holder?

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=C3oJUYmmEcaJjAKc2IDIBw&ved=0CGEQ8gIwAQ

I was thinking about getting one of these for my Assault XX. I hate not being able to quickly stand up and fish with a put together rod. I am lazy as hell. I find that I do far less fishing because it is a pain in the ass to put together the spey rod. If I had a system where the spey, nymph, and baitcaster were all strung up it would be awesome.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Jesse,
    I think it would make you look like a gear guy on the Clack. But, what the hell. Let us know if it works.

How are you liking the XX? How does it track on a river with just fins? Can I ask why you chose it over the XXX?
  3. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    I have it. It works well. Floated the Ronde this year with three rigged spey rods (swinging with tips, nymphing, and 5 weight ACR for surface or near surface swinging. Haven't used it on the lakes yet as felt no need to, but will.

Wayne
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Haven't seen that before. I like it, but already bought two of the single rod holders, which I mount in tandem, giving me two rods set up and ready to fish, strapped around the tube of my Watermaster.

Sg
  5. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Wayne - do you have any pictures of how this is set-up?

• where did you position the rod holder?
    • where do the rods run back in terms of angle?
    • does it impact your ability to row well?
    • are you able to stand up in the water in the middle of the boat and still fish or do you need to get out of the boat every time?
    totally curious how this is working for you!
  6. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0

I have one and been using it for a couple years. I don't use it on my X5 cause it has 5 rod holders already on it, but I use it on the ASSAULT and the Renegade. I put two glue on Scotty mounts on both boats. One at my right knee to hold the rod while I release a fish or while rowing. The other is behind my left shoulder. I also bought the Scotty Camera mount and the extension. I mounted two rods and the GoPro
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Get great videos mounted there too, specially with the WiFi attachment for the Hero2
    [IMG]

I think the XX would be a slam dunk. The Old Man uses the XX in our family and he hasn't mount rod holders yet.
  7. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    OH, I do secure the rods with the rubber band on the Scotty rod holders and make sure you have to turn them 180 so they can't accidentally come out of the holder, and I attached a leash to the Tree and clipped it to one of the D rings....Just in cast it falls off.
    JesseCFowl likes this.
  8. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Jesse,

My apologies if you answered Bill via a PM already, but I wanted to second his question: "How are you liking the XX? How does it track on a river with just fins? Can I ask why you chose it over the XXX?"

Also.. How about your buying experience? I have held out because of the bad vibes expressed recently by some surrounding Scadden, and over the years as far as that goes. Looks like both BSI (Watermaster) and Scadden are coming to Lynnwood. Both have lighter two seaters for sale. I would rather go frameless, but that would be Scadden... :rolleyes:
  9. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Gregg lets get out on the yak someday and you can row it. The boat performs much better in moving water than the water master. Then again it's like comparing a Porsche to a vette compared with a suburban as a drift boat.

I like the assault xx a lot. I needed a boat I could store in my closet since I live in the city. I got sick of not being able to bring my wife or another buddy. I got sick of rowing past good nymphing water without a rod working when it just isn't practical to fin.

I haven't tested it on Stillwater or with fins yet.

I had an issue with ordering a new oar. It's been back ordered for a month. It's a custom piece that another company manufactures. I spoke with Dave on the phone today and he is sending me a replacement blade at no charge so that I can still use the boat.

When I ordered the oar the other guy monetized it was back ordered. So I really don't fault them for the wait.

Others have had issues but so far the construction of the boat looks solid. It was my fault for breaking the damn oar.

Only time will tell. But so far I'm very pleased with the performance and the customer relationship experienced today. I wouldn't hesitate telling someone to buy one as I think they are an amazing value at the show price especially.
  10. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA

Just like Blue who, as usual, posted great pics, though I miss the dachshund. I have it behind me to my left, as I am right handed. The only thing that gets in my way with rowing is the side saddle bags, and it is a tighter squeeze with that there, so on the Ronde I left those at home. I like them on lakes though. The rod holder is totally adjustable and you can position the rods straight up and down, or angled in any direction. With the triple holder, you need to get three of the regular rod holders of course.

I have never tried standing in my boat, I greatly lack talent.

Blue, on your Assault, do you put the anchor in back or front? I feel like when I am on a lake, the back of the boat is much heavier, and of course the anchor adds to that. I was thinking of anchoring forward to balance the boat better, but worry about it being in the way all the time.

If I were to purchase this boat again, I would get the two person boat, not much heavier and would like the ability to rarely bring along a family member, or dog.

Wayne
  11. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT

I don't anchor. On stillwater, I use a Minn Kota with a maximizer, so I can have the blade move very slow to hold position.
    On the XX, it is on the back most times but also one on the front for windy days.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I am with you on the standing. If I had something to hold on to I would try, but that is what the X5 is for :)
    If you are left handed, why did you mount the holder on the left side?

Jesse, the nice thing about the tree is you can use both kinds of rod holders. The fly rod, or the bait/spinning like you posted. You can buy the tree with the rod holders, but then you have to pick one or the other and may I say, I the fly rod doesn't sit as nice in the bait/spinning holder.
  12. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    The big thing I'm struggling with is how to have three rods rigged up on my assault xx while underway on a river rowing situation.

I'm trying to think how three rods; 1 spey, 1 11ft nymph rod, and 1 9'6 baitcaster would actually run and how they'd be placed. In my watermaster I used to put one rod over my shoulder from the front of the boat. That way it was out of the way of me rowing and was also out of the way of overhead branches.

I could see pointing the rods backward on still water - but don't think that'd work for rough and tumble rivers. I could see pointing them straight up for big open rivers, but don't think that'd work for brushy rivers here in WA.

Hmmmm trying to make this work!
  13. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Blue, I am right handed, I misspoke or mis-typed anyway.

On the Ronde I had my spey rods up and just slightly back, and yes, you have to pay attention to overhanging trees, but if low to the water over the back I would worry more about clipping the shore or a rock with the rods. I can stay away from trees most of the time.

Wayne.
  14. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    With the XX being 10' long, something is going to be sticking out when laying it down. Maybe try this (at about 1:08)
    Use the straps for thee front seat to hold the butts down.
  15. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Just in case anyone is in the same boat. (hah... get it?) - trying to figure out a way to mount this thing on the Assault XX - and finds this thread by search.

DONT DO IT. Save yourself. Save your money.

It just plain doesn't fit in a way that's still good for the person in front to use the rod on the move. Unless you have the rods sticking straight up in the back - which for most rivers, doesn't make sense to me... Just forget it. Nice idea - but just lay the rods on the side and break them down.
  16. Mossyback New Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    WOOOOT!!!!! Wife called, says there are two large boxes on the porch! Can't wait to get home and air this bad boy up. I'm planning to just keep the boat inflated and build a pulley system in the garage to store it in the air.