Scrounging materials

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Paul Huffman, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Am I getting a little obsessive about seeing the world as potential fly tying materials?

I hit the Fred Meyer after Christmas sales table and picked up lots of cool mylar tensil. Half price! A lot of it has holographic prisms in little triangles of rainbow colors. Greens, reds, silver, gold, but I'm especially fond of this shiny brown stuff and the crinkly brown stuff. I'm going to try it on some olive zonker bodies.

I was riding with my boss as we zoomed out to a job sight. I got excited when spotted a road kill rabbit on the side of the road but he wouldn't stop. Imagine that!

Saturday my new wife and I were driving Klickitat heights looking at property when I spotted a dead doe on the shoulder of the road. This time I was driving. I fought the ravens off and got a bucktail!

2. guest

guest Guest

I think that there is a law that prevents you from doing that sort of thing. Don't let a Game Warden catch you. You can also go to Craft stores. You can find oodles of things to use for tying flies. Jim S. :DEVIL

3. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    I do the same thing. I've talked about the scrounging roadkill but I have never done that. I worry about the disease some of these dead critters may carry ie Lyme Disease, Rabbies, and even Anthrax. Bucktail, squirel tail, and rabbit masks are pretty cheap anyhow so I buy them. I did just get a bunch of nice pheasant tail and body feathers from some hunting I did over my X-mas trip to Michagan (plus 5 birds in my freezer).

My cat makes some pretty good dubbing fur. He is a maine coon and has nice downy fur for stoneflys and caddis nymphs. I have talked to other folks who use there pet dogs, cats and rabbits for tying materials

4. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was trying to clip a redhead last weekend, but she thought better of it.

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I got a bag of blue heron feathers from a dead bird found on the side of the river drying in the garage.

I will use my dog's tail for wing material.

I have been eye balling the cockatiel feathers. Just wish he was a little bigger. His feathers are a bit small for spey flies.

I have used dead coyote fur found along side the hyway.

I was given all the feathers plucked from a wild turkey. I haven't used any yet but it is just a matter of time.

I have bags full of mallard, pin tail, widgen and other duck's feathers from hunting.

I have several whole pheasant skins given to me by hunting friends.

I have a collection of crow feathers from an unfortunate encounter one had with my shot gun while he was poking around in my wife's garden. Haven't used any of those yet either.

6. rockfish

rockfish Member

1 seal compliments of puget sound

1 blue jay at my parents house when they werent home, told my mom to try to keep the fat one around

1 sea gull when duck hunting gets slow and numurous other marine birds that I cant name

1 spotted owl when grouse hunting got to slow

gold finches, robins, sparrows what ever dares to show there face to me when I'm bored

:THUMBSUP

7. S Gordon Gracey

S Gordon Gracey New Member

Home Page:
    Yo guys, do not repeat do not use material from dogs or coyote. The Bio's in the State of Orgeon did a bit of testing on what critters terrified the anadramous fishies the most and it was CANINES not kitty's. Tip on scrounging, go to the nearest freddy meyer or craft store and pick up those cute little dime size puff balls with mylar twinkies in purple, orange or hot pink. Slide em on the hook with some Zap-A-Gap or needle em down on your tippet to the hook, they are excellent chump change extra zesty versions of glow bugs. They are Steelhead candy.
    grip and grin :WINK

8. S Gordon Gracey

Home Page:
    I mean Oregon.
    grip and grin

9. fly15

fly15 New Member

Just thought i would let you know Mr. rockfish that it is elegal to shoot song birds ,( robbins,sparrows,gold finches(state bird)
    sea gulls and spotted owls)
    P.S. Your secret is safe with me but I wouldn't tell to many people. :WINK

10. guest

guest Guest

...if ever a good reason for gun control. And adequate funding for Western State Hospital. And legislation keeping kooks from having guns.

-Unamused old man

11. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    I heard an interesting presentation from the guys working at the Cle Elum hatchery (Schroeder, et al.) on the question of evaluating hatchery vs. wild production. In one experimental design, reproductive and return success in spring chinook is being compared between traditional hatchery practices and new rearing techniques to make them more wild. As part of the semi-wild treatment (SNT), the fish are exposed to various predators to see if they can be conditioned to avoid them after release and therefore survive better than the normal dumb hatchery fry that hopes that any big silhouette on the side of the stream might be throwing them some feed pellets. When they put mergansers into a raceway, they saw an immediate and strong avoidance, even in naïve fish. Fish that had never seen a bird before in their short life. It seemed they have an innate recognition and abhorrence of the shape and smell of some bird predators, of mergansers at least.

I was just reading a book by Dave Hughes and he advises smell your wax and don't use a wax with a strong smell especially in your wet flies because he thinks the fish will avoid them by smell. This got me thinking: What about the smell of the heron in all those hot steelhead patterns. What about the duck feathers? What about the otter dubbing? Or Bear hair? Or dog hair? A Klickitat biologist was just telling me that he works hard to keep his lab out of the water when he's fishing because he's seen the fish immediately go off a hatch from the dog smell. Maybe I should use all synthetics and soak them in Ode de OMP (Oregon Moist Pellet).

This spring, they'll be trying otters at the Cle Elum hatchery.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have used fur and feathers from otter, seal, polar bear, black bear, heron, dog, and other predators for years. I have caught steelhead on flies with materials from one or more of the above tied into them. I believe what you say. I just wonder how concerned one should be.

13. S Gordon Gracey

Home Page:
    Hey Stumpfisher, I'm right behind you on the kook part, but lets not go near the gun control issue, it's the lunatic behind the gun, not "the gun". Sling shots, stick box traps and blow guns would take the place for these nuts even if they didn't have a gun. It is rather perverse to indisrciminately kill non-game (or poach game for that matter) under thr ruse of aquiring fly tying material. Over the years I've noticed that the folks who are "thrill killers" are very unstable. There's plenty of excellent material around-- cheap-free or just for the asking-- that will make a perfectly good fly. I am an ardent hunter of both birds and big game and truly enjoy a good day in the field as much as a good day on the river.
    grip and grin :HMMM

14. rockfish

rockfish Member

You just got to be careful with the seal cause they make a lot of noise. but make good reel covers thou. no I'm just foolin around, didnt mean to ruffle any feathers :THUMBSUP

15. guest

guest Guest

...and then there is the real world.

I stated gun control, NOT a gun ban or gun confiscation. I am a Jeffersonian at heart and would never agree to such a taking. But I also believe that there is wingle room for all sides on the issue of controlling access to guns for those deemed undesireable by just laws and/or demands of the people.

Although I no longer hunt, hunting still calls to me each Fall. It was the inability to hunt when I lived on the East Coast which drove me to taking up the fly. No, I solidly support lawful gun ownership yet that does not blind me to the consequences of guns in the wrong hands. Good gun control is desperately needed in the U.S. and I am afraid that those advocates of no controls will not move on the gun issue and are going to lose a say in the outcome. Rigidity to compromise may well spell the doom for reasonable controls versus the overbearing restrictions as some support.

And KOOKS making such statements about killing everything that crosses paths with him continues the image of slob hunter and begs for regulatory controls.

Now if I was to take up hunting again, I would probably go the route of archery, the bow, but probably not taking the kill. It's not the kill that I like (same as in my fishing) its the other intangibles that I seek.

-Old man and gun owner

16. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    My all-time greatest score on materials was when my brother-in-law was awarded one of the few moose permits in Washington. He clipped off a nice supply of moose main which I've used for tail material ever since.

In fact, I tie a fly I call the "All Washington Emerger":

Tail: Moose Mane from moose shot in WA
    Body: Muskrat fur a trapper from Wenatchee gave me
    Rib: Copper wire from hardware store in WA (???)
    Hackle: Hungarian Partridge shot in the Yakima Canyon area.

Tom

17. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Now THAT is what fly-tying is all about. Makes me a little ashamed of my attempts to throw some Baribie hair in the fur blender with some muskrat and beaver to make a seal substitute. :WINK

18. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'd sure like to get a Hun. A blue grouse too. It's been about 30 years since I hunted birds, but maybe I'll have to start if I can't hit them with my car. :BIGSMILE And I have so many quail around my office, you'd think at least one would fly into the window. All I got so far from the windows was one little junco. I used his white outer tail feathers for a few thorax wings, and they were very whispy. They probably soak up water however.

19. guest

guest Guest

Tying materials...

Bought about 45 - 50 roosters last year with about 45 hens. Got a real mix with a lot of barred feathered ones. Since I will only be tying steelhead sized flies I found out I should have just bought white hens and dye the feathers myself.

Got several Toulouse geese for material but they're such characters I won't be able to harvest the feathers by killing them - they think I'm Daddy and follow me around like young puppies. And you can't just pluck one or two feathers from them without duking it out with them, Daddy notwithstanding.

Got a young Hereford bull and Angus heifer who have both decided that I am persona-non-gratia when I come near them with the scissors. My wife's horse has the best tailhair, sorrel in color and touches the ground. The stuff would make most excellent tail material and he would give it up without a fight. I'm looking for some hair patterns...

All this material and mostly unusable without some altercation within the farmyard. I guess I've gone too soft for real farmer. Naw, it is far easier to just have the wife pick me up material when she heads down-river (besides, the old girl always picks me up something nice and unexpected - why ruin a good thing?).

-Sometime spoiled and pampered old man :DEVIL

20. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was just looking through the junk pile and wondered how that braided wire hydraulic line would work for zonker bodies. It would make them more jig-like. (wink)