Scud patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Nol, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Nol Needs to fish more..

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Does anyone have or know where i can find some easy to tie scud patterns?
    Thanks for the help.
    Nol
  2. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Scud hooks in sizes 18-12, few wraps of lead, tie in a thin strip of clear plastic baggie off the bend of the hook for the scud back, tie in a piece of silver wire, dub forward w/ shaggy dubbing in various shades of olive, tan, or orange, fold the scud back material over and tie down behind the eye, counter wrap the wire, tie off, tease out the dubbing along the bottom...voila!
  3. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +214 / 0
    I think Big Tuna has you on the right track, his fly looks good and catches fish. If you want some thing simpler, try Ted Truebloods otter shrimp. It has a tail, dubbed otter body (pick out the bottom) and a beard. It also works well. I like to weight the bodies with lead, but sometimes it is hard to do in the small sizes without making them look bulky. I still haven't adjusted to using a bead head, but it works too, just looks a little odd to me. Another one that works is to use the Big Tuna pattern but stretch a darker floss over the back instead of the plastic. Good luck! you may find the magic combination.
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I use a size 14 scud hook and start by tying off some clear v rib then some shell back from a strip of plastic bag then use a ton of natural hares mask, and some yellow slf dubbing then I pick it out and bring the shellback forward and tie it off then I rib it with the v rib and pick out the bottom more.