Scud Three Ways

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by Big E, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +351 / 0
    I got this idea after watching a cooking show where the chef did beef three ways. Seems a lot of people have many various ways to tie this freshwater 'shrimp.' In 1975, Randall Kaufmann published a pattern which was described as plastic strip ribbed back scud, named Randall's Trout Shrimp. In 1977, Al Troth had a pattern published also with a ribbed plastic strip back named Scud. In this SBS, we will tie this stillwater crustacean three different ways, all with a rib and all with a gelatinous looking body.

[IMG]

Recipe:
    Hook: Daiichi 1120, size 10 to 14
    Tail (left to right): Hun, none, tan poly
    Body (left to right): Caddis Green Chewee Skin, Clear Scud Back over dubbing, Tan Scud Back over dubbing
    Rib (left to right): Mono, Orange Brassie Wire, Copper Brown Medium Wire
    Legs (left to right): White Ostrich Herl, Picked Dubbing, Hun

We start this fly off by dressing the hook. Try and imagine a line from the eye to the point on the throat as a reference for the tail. The following three steps are the same for each fly.
    [IMG]

Tie in some lead for weight and also to give this fly its shape.
    [IMG]

Apply some super glue to the underside of the lead to help it stay in place.
    [IMG]

Now for the tails and antenna. You can use pretty much anything you want that gives a nice mottling or darker color to the scud. Here I am using Hungarian Partrige fibers.
    [IMG]

Alternatively, you can use poly as seen here or you could eliminate them all together.
    [IMG]

For the ribbing you can use mono...
    [IMG]

...or wire.
    [IMG]

Here I am tying ostrich herl to the underside of the fly. These will be the 'legs' of the scud.
    [IMG]

Alternatively, you can tie a dubbing loop for addition of some hun fibers later on for legs.
    [IMG]

For the leftmost fly, I am using Chewee Skin for a body. Clip the end to a point to help tying it in.
    [IMG]

The other two flies I use Scud Back for the body. This will be drawn over the top of dubbing.
    [IMG]

Wrap the Chewee Skin forward to form the body.
    [IMG]

Or alternatively, dub a body. Here I have mixed tan, green, and orange to give me the color I want.
    [IMG]

On the Chewee Scud, draw the ostrich herl forward.
    [IMG]

Another way is to add Hun to the dubbing loop you made earlier.
    [IMG]

Then tie the dubbing loop over the dubbed body.
    [IMG]

And then draw your Scud Back over the top.
    [IMG]

For the ribbing, take the mono and catch the ostrich herl while following the body segments. Try not to trap the fibers.
    [IMG]

For the scud with just a dubbed body, take a bore cleaning brush and pick out the dubbing for legs.
    [IMG]

Wrap the wire over the body to form the ribbing.
    [IMG]

Pick out any trapped fibers and clean up.
    [IMG]

You can color the clear skin in any manner you want. After coloring if you add SSHAN, it will mottle.
    [IMG]

Trim the poly as well.
    [IMG]

Sit back and admire your Scud Three Ways!
    [IMG]

Enjoy!