Sculpin fly

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Salmon fisher, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Salmon fisher Member

BI WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi. Does anybody know of a good HUGE sculpin pattern? I am looking for one to tie for rockfish, since I've heard they eat sculpin.

Thanks for your help
  2. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Tie up some shock and awe's or some clouser minnows.
  3. Salmon fisher Member

BI WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    When you tie shock and awes, what size tube do you use? Also, could I tie them with a copper tube for weight? I haven't tied a tube fly before and I'm thinking about starting to, since I've been hearing about their advantages.

Thanks for your help
  4. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Their are 3 sizes of tubes, large, small, and micro tubing. For the shock and awe we typically use the small tubes for rockfish, you can use micro and large tube, but you will need to make sure you use the correct size conehead. I would not use copper tubes as the weight will come from using the crosseyed conehead. If you use a copper tube in conjunction with the conehead then you will lose the jigging action of your fly, which in my opinion is one of the key factors in the success of this pattern.

Call Anil up at puget sound fly co if you need more specifics, or shoot him a PM. He's the creator of the pattern and he's a nice guy to talk to.