Sculpin Swap is on

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Stephen Rice, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hmmm... thats weird, i live in lynnwood too and mine didn't come today. They'll probably come tommorow.

2. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    Got mine today. Cool bunch of flies...that is a serious chunk of fly papafish... is it your own creation? I bet it'll fish though! I really like The simplicity of yours Backyard. Looks good. And the hook poked me when I went to grab it...jerk... you're supposed to file off the hook points before you use flies... :clown:

3. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I got the flies today, Papafish, that is one huge fly. Thats flies bigger than the last trout i caught. Some very interesting flies, i particulary like the little one with the beadhead.

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    All I can say is that this is honestly the best swap I've been in. The quality of each fly is about as good as one could hope for, and there are some really cool surprises... I really like that fly from Papafish, and I think a slightly larger one will be added to my steelhead box really friggin soon.....

Also, yard, how the hell do you get the hair so tightly packed on your coneheaded muddler?

-- Cheers
    -- James

5. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    The is some great diversity among the flies that were tied for this swap; there does seem to be a common theme in the use of rabbit strips to give just the right bit of life. Papafish's "Night Train" looks like a great fly for bass, pike, or a fat piscivorous brown trout. I like having a physical example of your idea of using barrel swivels for articulated flies, nice contrast with Backyard's strategy. Now I'll have to tie my own versions so that I can keep yours as models and field-test them.

Thanks to all,

Steve

6. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Mine have not arrived in the harbor yet according to the parents. Then they have to come to Grand Forks. I am excited to see these Sculpins! As soon as I get them, I will work on posting pictures.
    Chris

7. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Guy's, I got mine today as well and, as I hoped they are all great flys. Quite a bit of diversity, although I do detect a predominant "Barred/Olive" theme?. Thanks for going orange, there, Willie!

I've never tied a wool head myself, so those are interesting to see, all in all a great swap.
    I'm looking forward to hooking a few Yakima fish, with several of them. :thumb:

About my own contribution; I will say, that you will be surprised at how they look and act, in actual fishing conditions. Don't let the size of them put you off, "big fly, big fish" they say. I fish them on a sink-tip myself, and will attest that they work quite well! I expect to hook a lot of Alaskan RB's, Salmon, Steelhead, Char, Pike, and Cutthroat, on various renditions of the same concept this July. One thing for sure, that's a bite size hook, won't miss many on that! Attaching your tippet, to the eye, should not pose any problem either! LOL!

If you tie some up, like it, try smaller swivel's and hook's as well. Makes a great WB fly.

Thanks, nice swap.

LB

8. Ringlee

Media:
    There is a sculpin Swap 2006 Gallery in the fly swap gallery now. When ever I get my flies, I will post them.
    Chris

9. Ringlee

Media:
    Got them today in the Mail. I will post today.
    Chris

10. Ringlee

Media: