SE Alaska May 20th 2011 - Wild Steel

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Southsound, May 22, 2011.

1. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

South Puget Sound (again!), WA, USA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Spent two days chasing steelhead with my son on a small stream in SE AK... it's a small, totally native run, but the fish were there despite the late spring. After 20 some years, this was a first for me on this particular run so I was jazzed to say the least! My son landed his fish first thing in the AM, spent the rest of the morning thoroughly scouring holes and runs upstream, and while turning a few, no takes until the end of the day and in the same water as my son's, my fish came to hand. The icing on the cake was that I was using a Scott G-series 958 that I had converted to a 9' 11" switch rod and my son's "Big Pink" pattern, a fly of his own design. All and all, a very gratifying visit to Southeast AK.

Steve Cole
  2. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    Outstanding! Thanks for the report and pictures. I missed out on a chance to go for steelhead in southeast earlier this month - same situation, a small river in an isolated area. Hopefully, I'll make it next year.
  3. Nor-tah Member

PHX, AZ
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Incredible! I'll be up there saturday but we'll be boat fishing for Kings in the open. I'd love to get into a steelie lake that!
  4. Tony James Member

Oakbrook, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Good looking fish! Congrates on the outing with your son . . . those are special days in a beautiful place. My boy is in the Air Force, but will be home in August or September for the salmon. We are lucky dads.
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    well done, that stream's a tough nut to crack sometimes.