Sea Lions shot on the Nisqually River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Drag-Free Drift, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I heard something on the BBC of all places about a large number of sea lions being shot recently on this river. Anybody know anything about this?

2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

On the morning news this morning. Sea lions washing up in north sound.

3. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Someone gave the river otters thunder sticks, and you know the rest of the story.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Ya think those might have been native river otters?

5. Derek Young

It'd be pure speculation on my part.

6. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

I wish I could say I was bummed about a few sea lions being thinned out of the south sound. If only the WDFW would regulate all predetors there would not be such an issue with them impacting our fisheries more than normal. This includes but is not limited to seals, sea lions, cormorants, mergansers and caspian terns.

7. Derek Young

8. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

I'm usually pretty good with discerning satire, but I can't on this one.

I'm not sure who it is that is shooting the sea lions, but it reminds me of how people kill sharks when there is a shark attack. People need to understand that we're in their world.

Just as much as we're fishing for the fish as a sport/commercial, those sealions are fishing for their food.

Anyways, I'm going to throw some popcorn in the microwave because I have a feeling this thread is gong to call for it...!

9. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

[​IMG]

10. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

11. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

lol, wow. . .

12. Derek Young

You fine sir, have way too many photos of popcorn-eaters.

13. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Don't blame JoePa this time!

14. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

+1

15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Well, I'm not exactly devastated over this news. The population of these guys has exploded on the west coast in recent years. Remember the situation in San Francisco where they took over the wharf area docks, crapping all over everything and folks were fearful of getting arrested for harassing them if they tried to shoo'em away...what happens when we start putting policies in place that upsets natures balance.

Remember Hershey and his band of buddies who were chowing down major poundage and playing with half eaten steelhead at the Ballard Locks? I'm hoping a few more pods of Killer Whales take up residence in Puget Sound :thumb:

16. lives2bwild

lives2bwild Member

alright ill bite...killing sharks for killin humans is one thing,but a regulated hunting season is whole different story. if there is not enough food to support a growing population of seals then i dont see the harm in havin a extremly regulated hunting season. and sense puget sound orcas are not seal hunters i say we take back our roll as hunters of the seal like we have for thousands of years. also to ensure only the weak were consumed, special rules like kayaks and canoes only, no firearms, harpoons, clubs, or perhaps 14 wieghts and winter blackmouth imitations... you gotta remember we are animals and our roll in the food chain can be just as crucial. if only i could have seal skins for kayaks, seal meat for my belly

17. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

All I am saying is that with dwindling salmon and steelhead stocks in Puget Sound and increasing predator populations things are not looking up for our remaining fish. Obviously the balance of predator to prey ratio is way off and has and continues to be a contributing factor to the low survival rate of our salmon and steelhead whether it is while they are juveniles or adults. Cormorants, mergansers and caspian terns feed heavily on juvenile salmon and steelhead and seals and sea lions eat a larger and larger portions of our shrinking populations of salmon and steelhead each year. For the past twenty or thirty years this problem has gotten worse and worse and I think regulating the predator population would be the responsible thing to do.

18. CornBiscuit

CornBiscuit New Member

People need to understand that we're in their world.
    ----------------------------------------
    We live here too...

19. CornBiscuit

CornBiscuit New Member

If only the WDFW would regulate all predetors there would not be such an issue with them impacting our fisheries more than normal. This includes but is not limited to seals, sea lions, cormorants, mergansers and caspian terns.
    --------------------
    and nets...?

20. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

I bet every native american and animal said the same about us Europeans too.

Guess what? Humans and fisherman that catch and release for sport aren't number one, numero uno!!
    The rest of this stuff is such bullshit coming from humans-THE number one f*** up in the system, people, are humans!

Control predators??? Get real. All the WDFW does is control their budget and self interest, aka look busy to collect a check.

The biggest problem, and correct me if I am wrong, is that there is an overpopulation of the most destructive creature the planet has ever known. Humans. And that is something we can't turn back on now. We screwed up the mountains and streams by rape of the trees and nesting gravels, then we overharvest in the ocean and on return, then we want to blame it on seals and such. F**** ridiculous!

Don't worry, our grandkids or greatgrandkids, tops, will see the last wild salmon..and seals..