Sea-run Cutt Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jeff Hale, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Speaking of Hood Canal beach fishing for sea-runs, has anyone fished, or is anyone familiar, with the Rendsland Creek area? It's near the end of the North Shore Road out of Belfair; there's a little park there, walk-in access. I've fished it about three times with no luck whatsoever, but it looks like it should be fishy. However, I've never seen anyone else fishing out there.

I believe there is a small run of chum and also some coho when the creek starts to carry water in the fall. It seems to dry up in the dry months.

The last time I was there, in fall 2006, I saw numerous seals out about 100 to 150 yards, and there were coho staging to run the creek. It actually broke through to the salt water that day and it was amazing how quickly it filled with salmon.

Surely there have to be some sea-runs there from time to time... :confused:

By the way...nice report and nice fish, Jeff and Mike.:thumb:

2. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Media:
    Ok with some of my own research i answered an easy question. I looked at scenic beach description but it says its closed from flooding. I was wondering if this has changed at all.

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    MasterAngler-

The park is open. In fact I have never fished there, but I stopped there the other day and it surely should have cutts along there. I just haven't had time to hit it. Go give it a try before I do!

4. MasterAnglerTaylor

Media:
    Well decided to head out to try and find src with no luck. Started out at kingston area beach. Talked to a guy sitting in his car said he had seen people pull 18 to 20 inchers off beach before. He said they were using worms i guess. I didnt comment on that. But got in water and couldnt make it past muddy nasty water.

We left then went up to salsbury to see the water quality. We saw about 4 fly guys fishin around but with the beach not being very big we just kind watched for little see if they had any luck, didnt want to wedge us all in there. Didnt see anything there really so we headed to kitsap memorial cause the beach has all the signs of cutthroat and there is a creek right by but that part seems to be private. The water was up to seawall already so no luck there.

We then wanted to scope out a new area at scenic beach in seabeck. Again water to high but all the signs. All in all didnt get to wet fly much but we will just have to wait till the tides are more cooperative.

Anyone have any other experiences up by seabeck. ?

5. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

Correct - That creek is dry much of the year in it's lower reaches. I'm sure there are some SRC around the estuary, but much of the year there is no overland flow from the stream. That's not uncommon along the canal.

Still, there is a good run of chums up there when it is running in the fall, and some coho in the system as you saw. I'm just saying this is an unusual system with unusual timing due to the patchy nature of the flow and it may not fit the usual assumptions (which means there may be unique opportinities as well). Regardless, there are SRC everywhere along that area of the canal.

6. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

That was us, you should have said hello..

7. MasterAnglerTaylor

Media:
    Yea we should have but, all we had was our 8wts and we were just watchin and talkin about taking boat out today for blackmouth.....that didnt happen. :(

Well anyways how was fishing. I have been there many times but still no luck. Hope to see you there again.

8. MasterAnglerTaylor

Media:
    I went and tried eglon around kingston other day but that water gets muddy real fast i figured out. I think im gonna head out there prolly mon or tuesday because tomrrow gotta watch game and then sunday think me and dad are gonna take boat out for some blackmouth.

Ill tell you all how it goes.

9. MasterAnglerTaylor

Media:
    Well i went out to eglon cause it was just such a nice day....still freezing though cause of wind. I worked up and down beach and actually saw one jump. But no luck :( Also i hit my colddd red ears with a clouser with i-balz on it and i flailed around like a little girl out in water but all in all it was very nice to actually see the sun out.

10. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

thanks a lot for the pix Jeff.
    it does one good sometimes even to see someone elses fish.
    much appreciated!
    -mike
    p.s. have you given that Teton reel a good work-out yet??

11. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    I've fished it, but no Steel yet for me. How about you, have you smoked a grizzly or Cougar yet with the S & W .357????

12. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

not yet. when i do i'll post some pictures. j/k.
    i gotta say, you did a fine job sighting that thing in. nicely done!
    -mike

13. John B

John B just tryin' to keep the skunk off

I worked a cold, sunny and quiet beach this morning in the extreme South Sound and ended up with three cutties to hand. There was quite a bit of surface activity and strikes up until the slack low tide, so it made the 30 degrees and numb fingers totally worth it.

This was the first time I've been able to snap some pictures while carefully handling my fish, so here are those three lucky fellows that went after my Knudsen spider. Unfortunately, in the commotion of trying to take a picture one-handed, I hit a button on the camera which changed the settings on the last two shots, making the quality not very great. But the first (and biggest) cuttie shows up well enough.

Anyway, these guys are definitely out there and in abundance in certain spots, so go find 'em!

-john

14. MasterAnglerTaylor

Media:
    Awesome. Good report.

15. slippery_whippet

slippery_whippet Member

Media:
    You and dryflylarry should get in on the SRC salt fly swap going on right now. Both of your patterns sound like great additions to the list.

16. flycasterwa

flycasterwa Chris Delsing

Media:
    Nice work sir! Heading up on Saturday, and advice for a newbie ? (to this part of town, not fishing). Advice can be emailed to flycasterwa@yahoo.com Looking for advice on entry points or areas to check out.

thanks in advance!

17. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

18. John B

John B just tryin' to keep the skunk off

Found some more south sound cutties yesterday. I brought in a 14" guy right off the bat, then proceeded to lose two more as I was getting them to hand.

I was just about to call it quits and go eat my cold pizza for lunch when I saw a roll off to my right. I had just massacred my last clouser on the beach rocks, so I tied on a new fly as quick as I could. The very first cast hooked my up with the biggest fish I have ever caught (18"+).

It was a good day.

19. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Verrry nice Fish John.

It doesn't look to have any parasites on it, but way too fat and healthy to be an early post spawner; almost no spawning colors, just slight tinge of yellow. By this summer it will be as wide as a salmon, and wiser for the lesson you gave 'em. Good job on the "one last cast" fish. :thumb: I would call it a day after a fish like that as you're simply not going to do any better and a good note to end the day on.

20. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Gorgeous fish!! Great job...looks like he took a spider eh?