Sea Run Cutthroat Hooks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jack Devlin, Jul 9, 2012.

1. DSC04093.JPG Again, thanks to all for the input. My original intention of this thread was to find out what hook and sizes are being used. Am not interested as to what hook is the best hook, rather, which hook does the least damage. The purpose of my concern is because I care about the Searun and want to have as little impact on them as possible. Therefore my personal choice of the smallest diameter hook (Gammy SS15, SC15) and small size. I like catch'n cutts, don't get me wrong. I fish for them 2-3 times a week.
    Additionally, I've always been curious about how long it takes for hooks to "degrade" (corrode, rust away) in saltwater. Toward that end, I started an "unscientific" test of the effects of saltwater on fish hooks. Today I placed a Gamakatsu SS15, a Daichi 2546, and a Mustad 9671 (kind of a "control" hook) in separate, closed containers and filled them with saltwater collected today from Southworth beach. It will be interesting to see how long it takes. I will replenish the water as necessary. This has probably been done before but I like to do things myself.
    Anil was the first to mention the Tiemco 811s and I wonder if anyone uses it. I have some and have tied on them. Nice hook, stainless I believe. The 34007 is quite a hook. Probably has been around longer than all the others. Big barb. My choice for big fish and for table fish.
    I would like to see Gamakatsu come out with a barbless hook. Heck, I'll even give them the nomenclature: SRC15BL.
    Jack

2. i will agrea with coltron here. i tie thousands of flies on this hook. its a great hook and when smashed leaves no bump.

3. I use the 811S hooks for salmon flies and have been very happy with them.
    I been using the barbless Gamakatsu octopus that I mentioned earlier a lot the past few years. I'm tying a lot more flies with single stingers. By leaving the loop long enough, I can change out the hook if it gets dinged on the backcast or starts to rust to get more life out of my flies.

I'll be interested to see the results of your hook experiment.

4. okay for the best 3 hooks that i use a lot and love for salt water. 1) Daiichi 2546 sz8-6 2) gamakatsu SC15 sz 6-4 3) gamakatsu SP11 3L3H sz8 all perfect hooks for cutties. the Sp11 is a long shank salt water hook.

5. Stonefish,
    The mustad bronze hook started corroding in a couple of hours. The stainless and the tinned hooks show no signs of anything yet. Been in the salt twelve days so far. I suspect they will be around for a long time. I'm going fishing tomorrow and I'll bring a jug of saltwater home to top off the containers.
    Jack

6. All this talk about hook corrosion has me wondering; how many times have you snapped a hook off while fighting a sea-run cutthroat? I use 5 or 6# fluoro tippet and have yet to do that.

I can't even remember the last time I got snagged up and had to break the hook off either. Almost every hook I've lost at the beach ends up in a tree or nested in the boudlers behind me somewhere. Besides, when you slap the hook against the rocks and loose it, the hook gets nicked and seems to corrode much faster.

7. I have never lost a hook in a Cutthroat. Nor have I broken one off on the bottom. BUT, I've left quite a few on the beach! And in the bushes and trees. I'm a lazy backcaster.:)
    Jack

8. I'm going to rain on your experiment a little. Leaving a hook in saltwater is not the same as the reaction made when stuck in a fish's mouth. The corrosion is speeded up dramatically, especially with tinned or bronze hooks. A number of years ago, I left a couple of hooks on my helm station that hadn't been rinsed. An SC-15 was resting on a Tagus SS. The next morning there was already a rust streak burned into the tinned hook and not a mark on the SS. I assume it's a mild electrolysis. So, since the SC-15 is sharper and dissolves quicker, it's my hook of choice in the Sound. I use the #4 almost exclusively, and have landed chum and black mouth to fifteen pounds without a failure.

As for barbless... Like Anil says, if you are really worried about the little "bump" left when de-barbing, you can grind barbs down with a Dremel tool. I do believe you're over thinking the issue though.If you really fear that 1/32" tit is that perilous to the trout, then you shouldn't be targeting them at all. If you want to reduce mortality, use a 6 wt rod, 12# tippet and get the fish in quickly. Use a tube fly and a quick hook disgorger, and you never have to touch them. Leave your cameras at home, the fish in the water, and limit your pressure on any one spot.

ibn likes this.
  9. Hi Don,
    Please remember, I categorized my experiment as "unscientific".:) Just something I always wanted to find out for myself after fifty plus years of fishing and hearing guys say "just cut the hook if you can't get it out, it will dissolve in no time". Can't disagree with any of your comments but will continue grinding the barbs down. Thanks. Last week I watched a guy hook a beautiful cutt, haul it up on the beach, squeeze the crap out of it trying to get the hook out, wait for another member of his group get the camera (fish was dead by this time) and then say he was taking it home. I insisted he return it to the water (too late by then) - didn't want him keeping it. I tried to explain the fishing rules. Ignorance was the problem there. Afterwards, wouldn't you know it, that dead cutthroat was carried by the current and waves back and forth on the bottom right in front of me in plain sight where I was fishing. Sad. The party had left.
    Jack

10. I gotta get a life or go fishin' or something. DSC04391.JPG DSC04392.JPG DSC04393.JPG
    Decided to look at my "unscientific" hook experiment today. Here are photos of the hooks after thirty days in saltwater.

11. Is there a difference in hook strength between stainless and plated after 30 days? Do you have access to a microscope?

I will always separate used flies into a quarantined container, wash them throughly in tap water, and let them dry prior to returning to fly box. Never place a fly that's been in the salt back to the fly box. It will contaminate every other fly and eventually cause some degree of corrosion that although might not be visible could compromise hook. And of course wash out real, waders and anything else in contact with the salt which I'm sure everyone does.

Richard Torres likes this.
  12. Jan 1, 2013. I took a look at my "unscientific" hook experiment today. After almost six months immersed in frequently freshened saltwater, the bronze hook, while still in one piece, shows obvious signs of corrosion and loss of metal. Structurally, it is unusable and probably can be broken by hand at this point. The tinned/plated hook is still structurally sound with only the beginning of corrosion in the eye area. Still a usable hook. The stainless steel hook shows no signs of degradation at all. I did this littleexperiment to satisfy some of my own curiosity and so that I may have a reasonably intelligent retort when someone tells me a hook will dissolve in the salt in no time.
    File in the for whatever its worth column.
    Jack DSC00754.JPG

13. Jack,
    While your experiment was unscientific, I appreciate you posting the results. It might help some folks decide what type of hooks they want to tie with.
    SF

14. Jack-

Nathan Keen, former owner of Avid Angler and a great flatwing tier turned me onto using Gamakatsu SL45 bonefish hooks for SRC flat wings. They are black, have a heavy wire, slightly long shank and come in small sizes down to a #10. I really like the #8 for miniceivers and 2-3 feather flat wings.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1220

Jackd likes this.
  15. Thanks. I think that SL45 might be the ticket. I've been using the SC15's and hadn't thought of looking for an alternative.
    They are a bit short, but I like the fine wire. I'll order a few packets of the SL45 and see what they look like.
    I don't even remember if Gamakatsu was around when I fished bonefish many years ago. Maybe we didn't know of them on the East coast. The hook of choice was the Mustad 34007 stainless. We tied mainly shrimp patterns for bones. Larger 34007's were used for big Tarpon flies and Striper flatwings and deceivers. My supply of 34007's in all sizes is just about gone now. Not a great hook but it is what was there.

Jack