Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sea Run Cutthroat Hooks

5K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Jack Devlin 
#1 ·
Unless I've missed it, none of the major hook makers offer a BARBLESS tinned wire hook like a Gamakatsu SS15, my hook of choice. Sure, I mash down the barb but there is still a remaining "bump" and sometimes this makes removing the hook a little difficult. It makes a bigger hole and I'm sure does more damage than a barbless hook would. I now grind the bump away with a Dremel tool at the vise.
WHAT HOOK DO YOU USE AND WHAT SIZE? As I mentioned, I like the Gamakatsu SS15 and, because I catch a lot of different sized fish, I have downsized to hook size #8 . Anything larger can really damage a small fish. I no longer use the Stainless Steel hooks.
I enjoy fishing for Sea Run Cutthroat immensely. This year has been my best year. We need a barbless saltwater hook. What say you?
Photos of pinched barb and ground point. (Gamakatsu SS15 #6 - I ran out of #8)
Thanks,
Jack

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Jan 1, 2013. I took a look at my "unscientific" hook experiment today. After almost six months immersed in frequently freshened saltwater, the bronze hook, while still in one piece, shows obvious signs of corrosion and loss of metal. Structurally, it is unusable and probably can be broken by hand at this point. The tinned/plated hook is still structurally sound with only the beginning of corrosion in the eye area. Still a usable hook. The stainless steel hook shows no signs of degradation at all. I did this littleexperiment to satisfy some of my own curiosity and so that I may have a reasonably intelligent retort when someone tells me a hook will dissolve in the salt in no time.
File in the for whatever its worth column.
Jack
Handwriting Rectangle Font Motor vehicle Art

#35 ·
Thanks. I think that SL45 might be the ticket. I've been using the SC15's and hadn't thought of looking for an alternative.
They are a bit short, but I like the fine wire. I'll order a few packets of the SL45 and see what they look like.
I don't even remember if Gamakatsu was around when I fished bonefish many years ago. Maybe we didn't know of them on the East coast. The hook of choice was the Mustad 34007 stainless. We tied mainly shrimp patterns for bones. Larger 34007's were used for big Tarpon flies and Striper flatwings and deceivers. My supply of 34007's in all sizes is just about gone now. Not a great hook but it is what was there.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.