Sea Run Cutthroat

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by HogWrangler, Mar 7, 2006.

1. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Media:
    I was wondering if there was any specific time of the year the sea run cuts are out in the bay, and any tips on what time, places, and patterns you guys have had success with, by the way, thanks a ton to every one who responded about the brooks and browns.

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

This is a better question for the salt forum.

3. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

This will probably be moved to the "In the Salt" forum but . . . in your neck of the woods, they're around right now. In fact, I've caught fish as early as late January in the north sound. You just may need to move around a bit to find them. Get out a map and hit every beach with public access around you. Tons of info is available on techniques and flies if you just look in the "In the Salt" forum and do a search. I'm a relatively inexperienced saltwater flyfisher, but clousers in various color combinations (pink over white, chartreuse over white, olive over white, black, brown over orange), various baitfish imitations (go to any local fly shop and you will have lots of choices) have worked. I haven't fished them yet, but Shock and Awe flies get lots of rave reviews. Fry imitations can work well depending on the time of year. For subsurface, I've done better fishing a full sink intermediate line than a floater or sinktip, but you can make a floater or sinktip work. Some people do pretty well with topwater flies like the Miyawaki Popper and other types of poppers. A couple of good books are Les Johnson's recent book (I think it's Flyfishing for the Coastal Cutthroat Trout or something like that) and Steve Raymonds The Estuary Flyfisher (which covers a lot more than just searun cutthroat).

4. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I second the suggestion for Les Johnson's book. I read it in two short sittings. It is full of information and an absolutely genuine respect and awe for the searun cutthroat trout. And aside from that, some beautiful pictures.
    Otherwise, if you want to have some fun, try out the Miyawaki popper. You could probably just go to a fly shop and ask for one and how to use it. It's a very exciting fly to use, in my opinion.
    good luck, and good fishing,
    Jason

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Do some searching under this topic here, the files are loaded with good information and experienced comments. Thats a very short answer I know. But really, it is a solid start. Much of what we have here is very good quality information. Try the Search feature from the main Forums page. Then enter simple search words like "Sea Run Cutthroat", "Beach Fishing" etc. Should bury you in homework. And you'll find most folks here are willing to support you in your quest if you are willing to do the work yourself as well. Just the way it is.

6. custodyboss

custodyboss New Member

My parents used to live on the Olympic pennisula, about 40 miles south of Port Townsend. I used to go out on Hood Canal and did great on the sea runs. At high tide, in a small boat with an electric motor, cruise the shallows around the mouth of whatever river you choose, the Duckabush, the Dosewalips, The Quilcene especially. Fish shallow, if you cannot see the oyster beds, your too deep. I used an assortment of baitfish looking streamers. Sometimes bright colored clousers were the ticket, but I caught as many on darker sculpins or leeches, even muddler minnows. I did best during the summer. Use heavier gear in the fall if you go, I hooked more than one coho, thats a battle on a 4 weight.

keep in mind they are all wild and thus MUST go back.

7. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Media:
    THANKS!! You guys are all awesome and gave very helpful info. What a website this is.

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Welcome!!!