sea run cutts in rivers?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyguy123, Sep 2, 2002.

1. flyguy123

flyguy123 New Member

i've fished for them in the sound, but never in rivers. Im thinking about heading up to the snohomish after the recent report. I would just like some more info on tactics and flies. I heard huge humpies work good, what are some other flies. thanks for all the info.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Knutson spiders, reverse spiders, Royal Bucktails, streamers, muddlers, ect. I have had good luck this year on the Skagit with orange colored spiders but have taken several with royal bucktails also. Look for woody structure with some current along river bank. Cutts will hold in water anywhere from 10' to 1' deep. Sunk logs, root balls, and sometimes rip rap will hold cutts. Intermidiate sink tip and a floater will do for lines. Tactics will vary. Wet fly swing over structure works. Reverse spiders twitched on the surface has brought a few good hits. Upstream cast with aggressive strip will work. Vary your tactic until you find what works. Remember if you get one chances are there are more in the same area.

3. flyguy123

flyguy123 New Member

is there any web site that has tying instructions or just recipies and pics of some of these flies. thanks a lot.

4. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
  5. SMiller435

SMiller435 New Member

Just my observation, but I have the best luck using a sink-tip line with yellow or black Reverse Knudsen's Spider.

Heck, they'll probably take just about any streamer if you strip it and give it a little action.

Sure they can be caught occasionally on the surface, but all I ever take is my 6wt, sink tip, and a few Spiders and they provide the rest!

Since moving here from Michigan, SRC's have provided me with the best fishing. No luck with Steelhead or Salmon, but SRC's practically jump in the boat every Fall.

Let 'em go!

6. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I always throw streamer patterns at them too. Usually some variation of a spider pattern in yellow, orange, or black with a fine wire wrap. I fish them off a floating line and strip them in around debris with a short, jerky motion. I think anything that will fit in their mouths and looks somewhat alive will work.

7. OlyFlyguy

OlyFlyguy Member

I've had very good luck with brown zonkers and olive woolly buggers, intermediate sink line with a 4-5' leader, accross current with moderate stripping action, esp. up against banks and near structure. I've heard a number of folks swear by the spider patterns, however. I'll try those this year.

Fish on!

8. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Media:
    The Roderick Haig Brown silver brown fry imitation has worked well for me. Tail: a tip of reddish brown golden pheasant rump feather. Body: silver tinsel. Hackle: Golden pheasant rump feather. Wing: slender Golden Pheasant tail strips enclosing a few strands of orange bucktail. It helps to use a light long shanked hook (the Alec Jackson #9 low water hook, the #8 Wilson dry fly hook or the #8 Tiemco Steelhead dry fly hook) so that the fly will move well in the water. I have also done well with a #8 Muddler. Last week a #8 Mickey Finn brought several searuns to the boat.

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Sea run cutts in Snohomish?

I've been looking for SRC's but haven't found them yet. What section of the Sno. would be best. I've been between Langus and just above Lowell.

10. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    Sea run cutts in Snohomish?

I caught a few incidentals (12-13 inches) on the Sky last weekend as high as the Wallace river while fishing for steelhead. One of them even hit a skated dry.