sea runs in Hales Passage?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dave, Jan 16, 2006.

1. dave New Member

Missoula
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    One of my friends just bought a house on the gig harbor side of hales passage. I was wondering if there are any sea runs out there or if anyone has ever gone fishing there.

dave
  2. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Dave,

There are searuns all over the puget sound including Hale Passage. You should definatly take your rod with you if you are in that area and give it a shot. There are also resident silvers there. Clousers and a clear line with a 6wt is a perfect setup for almost all conditions. There is decent red rock crabbing in that area as well, not so great for dungeness.

Make sure you are up on your regulations before you fish or crab in that area.
  3. dave New Member

Missoula
    Thanks for the info. I'm very glad that the sea runs are protected by catch and release regulations.
    dave
  4. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Be careful when you and and release those cutthroat. Remember that even though it is catch-and-release, it is still a sport with some harvest involved as a small percentage of cutthroat do die after being released. Don't fish them too light for the "sport" of it. Use a five or six weight outfit so that you can land them quickly.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  5. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Thanks Les, my thoughts exactly. Catch and realease is great but only when done with the utmost care.
  6. dave New Member

Missoula
    Thanks. I'll be very careful.
    Dave.