Sea Worms

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by BOBLAWLESS, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Something that is seldom taked about in these pages is the subject of sea worms. I have accidently hit upon them while digging for clams and I wonder if they might not be an important part of our sea run trout's diet.

I know they are very effective for striped bass and I once caught a 29 pounder fishing them under the Carquinez Narrows Bridge near San Francisco coming home from a steelhead trip that was a bust.

How to imitate them is anybody's guess. I'm thinking about an articulated leech type thing, tied mainly with chenille or dubbing of some sort. I would think that 6 inches would be the minimum size and a dark, blood red color would work the best.

If you have never seen one, they look very much like a night crawler with centipede type legs. Anybody out there who has thought about this? Better, has anybody ever tried to imitate one? Even better, has anyone ever caught anything on an imitation?

Bob, the I would never dare to use a live natural. What if I were caught by somebody on this site? :eek:

2. Phylum annelida. They have a mean set of jaws! We used to use them for pile perch when I was a kid.

3. Thanks, Brew.

I was thinking about eating a few but since I killed this rather large sea snail and I always eat what I kill, I thought that would be enough. Thanks for the report about the jaws. So sushi is definitely out then?

Bob, the I eat most anything after I wash it. :eek:

4. Is this the worm you speak of? Nereis Virens, AKA clamworm. Lots of these are used back on Long Island for flounder, weakfish, stripers, etc.

MOAL leech pattern would work well...

5. Late May into June I have had some luck on what I have been told is the clam worm hatch for 2-5 LBS local Coho the past two years in area 11. I used size 8 black buggers to good effect and even had one Coho spit up one of the little ugly chewed up worms into the net. The baby worms that hatch in that time frame seem to be close to the surface maybe a foot or less down which would make them easy targets for the resident Coho in those two months. One of the three times since the sea was calm I even saw them under the boat in small swarms. I used a floating line and unweighted size 8 black bugger about 1 3/4 to 2" long total stripped about med speed and about 20-60 ft from shore to pretty good effect. I have hit the hatch about 3 times in the years of 2003 and 2004 but I did not fish the salt over those two months this year.
    I am not possitive that the worms I have seen were in fact clam worms but was told by a diver one time after I got back to the dock that they were baby clam worms swimming around all over that day. I never did any research into the matter just took it at face value.
    All I know for fact is that there is some type of worm swimming around in Puget Sound around that time of year. That when they are around and swimming even though I mark close to the suface a lot of fish. Bait fish flies catch me not even a bite and the black buggers have saved the day. I have also found black Clouser to work well in those two months of the year but I do not really know what the Coho took it for and I was not really trying to match the hatch so to speak.

6. I'm surprised Uncle Jimmy hasn't chimed in yet, but his Snot Dart, he told me, was intended to mimic the polychaete worms in the northern Sound. It seems to work most of the year.

KJ

7. I'm not sure we are on the same page. Do these clam worms actually get inside the clam? I have eaten a ton or two of clams in my day and I have never seen a worm. I just dig them up while digging for clams. They are really too big to be involved with clams unless it was a really big horse clam or geoduck.

Bob, the Wormer :D

8. Bob-

Is this the worm to which you refer?

[​IMG]

Or is it the Irridescent Worm, Hemipodus borealis?

[​IMG]

9. Taxon: The sand worm, I think. :beer2:

Bob, the that other job looks scary. :eek:

10. Yep, I tied that fly to be a worm, also fish two other larger worm patterns. A big grey green one and a big rusty orange one(really just a 3-4 inch string leach). The snot dart imitates the little yellow one that swims real fast. I have seen the smaller worms swarm near the surface, the bigger sand worms I see swimming from time to time but never in bunches. The worms offer a bunch of interesting fishing opertunities.
    Jim