Seahawks, Saturn, Sophia and Stillwater

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Ed Call, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    The Seahawks won on the road.

I finally unpacked the Saturn Raft/Kayak and built a light rowing frame for it.

Sophia has been bugging me to take the new blue boat out because she wants to go fishing. Let's go I said, she went to get dressed, I loaded the boat and the rig.

Off to a local Stillwater, some call it Tango Lake, and it is not too far from home.

The air temperature was about 52 degrees upon our afternoon arrival, several other anglers were enjoying the day despite some light wind and surface chop. A few sight seers and anglers were impressed at the little girl's desire to go fishing with dad. So was I.

Me "Rules: I row, you fish. When you get cold, tired or bored you let me know and we'll go home."
    Her "Okay, sounds good to me."
    Me "Can you carry these things over to the edge of the water for me while I move the boat"
    Her "Sure, I can do that."
    Me "Okay, I'm going to drag the boat to the water, let's put all the stuff inside."
    Her "Okay, but I'm supposed to get in the front of the boat first, right?"
    Me "Yes, you get in, I'll rig up your rod and put the stuff in."
    Her "What fly am I fishing with?"
    Me "I'll be rowing so you will be trolling, what do you think you might want to use?"
    Her "Olive the Woolley Bugger?"
    Me "Good choice"

I rowed to the North end, then back and forth a few times. There were a few rises but nothing hammering her fly. I worked my way south along the east shore, made the turn west to cross the south end.

Her "I think when we get back to the boat launch that I'll be ready to go home."
    Me "Are you getting cold?"
    Her "A little, but I'm just a bit tired."
    Me "Okay, you better catch a fish then, we'll be to the boat launch area in about ten minutes."

Two or three minutes later:
    Her "I think I've got a fish here"
    Me "Are you sure"
    Her "Yup, I've got one"
    Me "Raise the rod tip and reel it in"
    Her "I am, you better get the net"
    Me "The net?"
    Her "Yup, I think it is a big one"

She proceeded to reel her 18" rainbow triploid right to the front of the boat, got the leader into the guides, swun the fish back to me to the net...just like she knew what she was doing, calm, cool and collected the whole time.

Her "Good job with the net dad"
    Me "Good job with the fish honey" "You want to fish more or go home"
    Her "We can go home, it has been a good trip"

Priceless!
  2. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +183 / 0
    Very cool Mumbles way to get out there with your daughter, keep this up and someday they will be able to handle the boat while you fish ;)
  3. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Excellent!
  4. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Good work Ed
  5. Finfollower New Member

Port Angeles, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Great post. Good story to start my morning.
  6. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    Sweet report, Ed
    "Good job with the net Dad"
    I won't be able to wipe the smile off my face today.
  7. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    That's a great read to start off my Monday morning! Good job Mumbles, you're raising a fishy little chick!
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thanks all, it was a great day and she has already hinted at wanting to go again. "Can we fish tomorrow when you get home from work?". The "Good job with the net Dad" part was a result of me blind reaching for her sister's 12" rainbow on the Yakima this summer. I did not shift my body and lean over the tubes of the cataraft to see it and I literally knocked that fish off the hook. I guess the little sister remembered my foolish act, admitted mistake and humble apologies to her sister throughout the trip. With all the great folks I've met here and fished with, and no offense to any of them, these two little fishing partners are the cream of the crop.
  9. casaboba Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Great Report Ed, very well told. The simplicity of catching a fish is a beautiful thing.
  10. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +220 / 1
    Excellent Ed.
    Look out Freestone!
  11. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Very nice, love to see kids fishing! Also love Tango Lake... and a hawks road win! Good weekend!
  12. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +198 / 0
    Nicely done. Ya did good to let her determine the time to leave and then stick to it. You also have to have enough food, at least with young lads. They may not get cold quickly but they do like their snacks and eats.

We'll look forward to more Ed & Sophia reports!
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Scott, good point on the snacks. Within a few minutes she was asking for a snack, which I had...then it was gone and she wanted more. I'd rather fish an hour because she wants to go than force them to tag along when they are not interested. Her sister wanted to stay home with mom, everyone got what they wanted.
  14. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Made my day reading this. Well done.
  15. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +720 / 0
    Good deal Ed. Great report.

Man alive you are the watercraft master. Did you have to give up anything in your arsenal to get this little raft? What's this one going to be for - mostly cruising the rivers or what? Looks like a sweet little set-up.
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    JCF, this one was compliments of my friend Riverman from back east. He needed to make space in his crowded garage and I was glad to be the benefactor of his generosity. For the price of shipping I got a craft, built a frame from parts in the garage and see this as a light duty craft (easy rivers or stillwater) when I want to take the girls out. Big enough to float 700#, small enough that I can car top it, so it might be the craft used when I'm towing the tent trailer and can't bring along the big boy cataraft. Should work for two adults. It rowed quite well (backwards) on the stillwater, spins quick and I'd like to try it on an easy river stretch to check it out. It is a Saturn Raft/Kayak, 12' and seems like it will be fun.
  17. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,156 / 0
    Ed, great report! I love the dialog and her choice of fly - and yes, especially the net part (after the Yak 'incident')! I can't wait to hear about more exploits of Sophia and Olivia and I hope we can all hit the Yak again so I can see their progress! I'll never forget the "I got it Dad, just row" line, still cracks me up! You have two little gems!
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    So true Freestone, all so true. Being told by a 6 y/o on her first real fishing trip to basically shut up and row because I was distrubing her concentration on where to cast into the seams and foam lines was not exactly what I expected. But I did shut up, and she did catch fish.
  19. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    Great report Ed. You're doing a fine job of filling those girl's heads with many memories that they will cherish always.

I really need to acquire a craft similar to that so that I can take my boy out on such adventures.