Seal Attacks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Pontooner, Aug 27, 2005.

1. While fishing in a pontoon boat with force fins kicking around in the salt and seals come really close should I be worried about one of those seals taking a chunck out of my leg??

They come very close and it scares the @%X&*@ outta me, should it?

2. I've never heard of it happening, but I wouldn't put it past them. Leave the 'toon at home and take out your float tube, let us know how it goes! :thumb:

3. I'd be more worried about the sharks thinking your a seal!

:eek:

:thumb:

4. While I would definitely say the odds are slim it is possible. If one did nip you though it would be on your fins. They do nip at divers fins but its friendly not aggressive. I have been swimming along and felt a tug from behind and looking back (scared like you wouldn't believe!!) I saw a seal swimming away. This is not an isolated occurence as I have met other divers with similar experiences. This happened at Les Davis by the way.

I think the seals are much more of a concern when you are fighting a fish.

SeaRun1

5. I think of the seals here in much the same way that I do the bears of coastal rivers in Alaska, like up in Katmai Park. We are in their world, their environment, and we are intruding on them. At best they tolerate us. but it is always a territorial imperative that they may someday attempt to push us out or react to us.

The trouble with wild animals is most often because of human behavior. Seals would not ordinarily be aggressive or apprehensive around people if it were not for some people's behavior toward them, which is frequently attacking and aggressive, abusive etc. When pups are around the adults become especially protective. But a seal has the ability to react to a human in the water at any time. An adult seal can easily injure or kill a human being. My rulke in fishing is that if a seal approaches us, a seal of any age or size, we will withdraw. If the seal presses the issue we just leave for another spot.

Anything about our own actions that would cause a seal to be "worried or harrassed" would be a felony under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.