Seal Bugger

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chef, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

See chef you are right and in your earlier post that you're having fun. Take it easy don't pressure yourself and take the fun out of it. They all said that your ties will catch fish and the fish is the important judge to concider. As long as you are catching fish now and then and having fun tying that's good. The other thing pointed out is that as you tie more you will keep improving and that willl take care of the small problems that seem big now. I get really critical of my tying and for good reason but it just spoils the tyng fun. After I sit back and look at it the good feelings come back. Let a fish take my fly and it's all good feelings. and I don't care how bad my tying was of that fly. Keep the fun and interest going you'll learn as you go.

2. Chef

Chef New Member

i have always worked two jobs for the last 7 plus years and never really took time for myself. I was always on the go... working one job for 8-10 hours and then going to the next job. I loved the rush of it all but then now, I am feeling worn out and needed to stop, evaluate my life and health and make the needed changes. Fly fishing has been a hell of a lot of fun. Just getting away, leaving life behind. Tying flies.... fun.... neat... and relaxing. I really needed something like this to bring back some fun into my life. I have met some cool people and continue to meet cool people. Heck... I am tying flies on Thursday with a group of people I have never met, I cant wait. :)

3. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Hey Ed (Mumbles)...que the banjo music...we got company comin' ;)

4. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

All the buggers have quite long tails. That often results in short strikes. I'd shorten up the tails a little.

5. Greg Arcara

Greg Arcara Member

Long tails are actually a feature of a seal bugger. I fish and tie mine with long tails as designed by Denny. One thing I found in a you tube video that I do sometimes to speed up my tie for these (not that they are a long tie as it is) is that I will tie in a grizzly hackle with 1 side stripped, make my dubbing loop, spin in the dubbing then use my hackle pliers to hold the grizzly hackle to the end of my dubbing loop and wrap the hackle around the loop. Then I just wrap the loop around the hook as normal and use a dubbing brush (velcro on the end of a stick) and brush out the dubbing. The trick here is to use a dubbing that will produce long fibres and not to spin the dubbing too many times in the dubbing loop. A dubbing brush (or just any piece of velcro) will make a big difference. It took me a while to do a decent job with the dubbing.

Here's that video:

6. Keith Hixson

Okay, tie them long but when the short strikes come along, better have a pair of scissors.

7. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Keith - the fish I target with seal buggers aren't the type to short-strike. They just flair their gills and inhale it :)

But seriously, Rickards is a very approachable guy and I've chatted with him on a few occasions when he's tying at the winter shows. His take on short strikes is that the fish will never miss a fly they are trying to eat. If they miss, they aren't committed which is a critique on the angler's presentation of the fly. So change retrieve first, then color, then step down a size. Since I got that advice, I don't have problems with short strikes.

8. Chef

Chef New Member

I did see the technique with wrapping the hackle in the dubbing loop.

I should have used a dubbing loop.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Oh you are gonna be using a dubbing loop...wait and see. Sometimes a dubbing loop is the best way to get feather materials off the stem and allow for more closely spaced wraps that get a fuller body. Sometimes leaving the fibers on the stem is a better way for durabilty, ease and when your wraps are not so closely spaced.

10. Chef

Chef New Member

mummbles is going to teach me how to use a dubbing loop.... you all heard it here. he promised! :)

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Okay, I promised to do that...dubbing loop 101, so easy Mumbles can teach a Chef to do it!

12. Chef

Chef New Member

mummbles promised to give everyone fly tieing material to.

Darn mummbles... you feelin good eh?

And no... I am NOT going to hand feed you pumpkin pie.

13. Keith Hixson

I've been fly fishing for 40 years and tying my own flies all that time. I will respectfully disagree with Rickards on that one. Long tails often make for short strikes, trust me on that one and I disagree with the premise "fish will never miss a fly they are trying to eat." And I believe most of the oldtimers will agree with me on this one.

14. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I agree with you .

15. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Fair enough. I can agree to disagree, it's just what works for me. And for the record, I fish many patterns with short tails.

16. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Member

I usually tell people there are about a dozen basic techniques to tie flies and a couple thousand tricks to deal with the materials.

17. Chef

Chef New Member

well bob... that narrows it done! :)