Searun baitfish patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by sahd, Nov 21, 2003.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    They are at Morning Hatch, Avid Angler, Kaufmann's and Patrick's. I don't know if Anil has them at Puget Sound Anglers, maybe he can chime in.

Leland
  2. wolfman New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I live near Victoria,BC and have not found them here so I will have to either wait until my next trip to Seattle in February or order from a catalog. On page 92 of the Kaufmann's Streamborn 2003 catalog they show three types of popper bodies. I'm guessing that the type you use is the high density foam #2 Saltwater Popper?

Wilf
  3. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Call me tomorrow or saturday at Patrick's (206) 325-8988. We'll ship them.

Leland
  4. emerger New Member

Kirkland, WA.
    Leland,

Given that your popper generates a lot of missed hook-ups, is there a practical or ethical reason why you snip off that front hook? My understanding of the regs is that it's not illegal to leave it on.

I suspect this question gets at the aesthetics or "purity" of our sport. Forgive this relative newbie if it is obviously bad form not to snip....
  5. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Emerger,

Once the Dink popper head is slipped over the materials on the hook, the gape distance is closed rendering the front hook useless.

Leland
  6. wolfman New Member

Thanks for the offer Leland but I think I will wait until my trip to Seattle for the Bellvue Fly Fishing Show in February. I'll drop into the shop and pick some up then.

Wilf