Searun cutts doing any good? Worth doing a trip?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by NW Fly Guy, May 6, 2005.

1. I've been pretty busy with work the last month or so. So barely have scanned the board. Finally coming up on some much needed time off. I know right now it's pretty slack time. I'm just curious what some searun cutt fishing will like coming up. I'm going to have to put in for some vacation, and was thinking of doing some guided trips for cutts. I'm just not that "fish savvy" to know where to go. So figured I'd have someone show me how. So when would be the best time to take off, and do you think I should get a guide, or just try winging it? I think I can handle some of the walk in salmon or steelhead situations. But fishing the salt for cutts and I'm lost.

Any help would be appreciated. My wife ok'd getting a guide. So that's not a problem. Just figured I'd go with some of the experience on the board. What would be the best suggestion. I've done some research through the board. So not looking at locations. Just that I know sometimes certain times are better then others. So any and all recommendations would be appreciated. I promise to post more. Just life has caught up with me.

2. Contact Bob Triggs, one of this site's sponsers.

3. Using a guide is a great way to shorten the learning curve. Bob Triggs is well respected and knows where and how to fish the beach. In addition to fishing with Bob, you owe it to yourself to read Fly-Fishing For Coastal Cutthroat Trout: Flies, Techniques, Conservation by Les Johson. Les is a regular contributor to these boards. He has forgotten more about SRC than most people will ever know. Bob Triggs reviewed his new book and you can read his thoughts on the Home page. Once you fish Searun Cutthroats, you will find yourself drawn to the salt.

4. iagree
    What they said.

Between the two it should be worth several years' worth of learning the hard way, and you will be fully indoctrinated as to all you need to know to go forward with confidence.

BTW, south sound cutthroat fishing is prime right now and should continue to be so.

5. I'll have to go with the rest. I'd give Bob Triggs a ring (or a private message) about a trip. He'd be your best bet. Not a bad guy either, think you may enjoy hanging around him. Maybe not, he is a bit "rough" around the edges. LOL

6. iagree about hiring Bob Triggs. Back in the end of March, the day before the O.P. Fly Expo, I met up with him and we went to a popular searun cutthroat spot near Govt. Cut on Indian Island. Bob explained the whole "setup" at this particular location to me. This included the currents and the way they changed thruout the tide, where the fish hangout and their movements, cutthroat food sources in the area, and how to approach the fish and present the fly. Also alot of interesting stuff about the general ecology of the place. He seemed to know the local eagles...(probably has names for them)!
    I chose to tie on one of Bob's ties, the Chum Baby, and Bob showed me how he thinks it should be retrieved, in rapid (as fast as you can move your wrist), short 2" strips. Of course a cutthroat hit my fly as he was handing my rod back to me! It got off. It was only a little 12"er anyway. :rofl:
    Then we took a break where he dragged out the easy chairs, made some huge and tasty sandwiches for us, poured some hot coffee out of a thermos, and kept the informative conversation flowing.
    This was just a sampler, as Bob had to leave and prepare for a guest that was flying in from Italy to fly fish the O.P. A huge "Pineapple Express" late winter storm came charging straight in during the next week, so I know Bob had to dig deep into his bag of tricks to pull that one off!
    Not bad for a dude who is "a little rough around the edges." :p

Of course, if you don't mind a slightly longer learning curve, just do a search on this site and go strike out on your own! You might even hit a homer!

Jimbo :thumb:

7. Jim: Will you marry me? :eek:

8. I'd supply the martini's for that wedding party. yes indeed . :thumb:

davy

9. i fished with bob triggs yesterday (5/7). do yourself a favor and book an SRC trip with him. besides his fishing experience and knowledge, he's and avid outdoorsman and naturalist... so there's a great eco-tour component to the trip. you'll learn a lot and fish your arm off.

t

10. Gee, Bob, I guess that depends on if your "dowry" includes huge chunks of Patagonia, SE Alaska, and maybe your own private Idaho! :rofl:
    Nah, I think I'll abdicate to tyler, as it sounds like you been cheatin' on me! :eek:

Jimbo, the "Never intended to be a heartbreaker, but they keep lining up and falling down like so many dominoes."