Seattle Fly Shops

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ottorotate, Jul 13, 2013.

1. I work in the Seattle area and live in North Bend 30 miles east of town. I have visited everyone of the shops mentioned in these posts at some time or another in the past 5 years. I tend to run over to Patrick's during the middle of the week while on lunch when I am short of materials or flies and plan to fish that weekend. If you need it, they seem to have it. I have always gotten a lot of advice and chat when needed and at the same time, as mentioned, they don't push. If I had any complaints at all it would have to be clear off the fly table so I can see the entire great selection of trout flies! I gotta laugh. I think every time I go in someone is eating lunch on the table!

2. Do you mean Adam? He quit OE and is now the manager at Creekside over in Issaquah.

3. Really? Yes, I do mean Adam. Too bad for OE, but good for Creekside, and Adam.
    Thanks for the update.

4. OE was a nice shop when it was in Seattle proper. Since they moved down south it is in seedier part of town. And parking is still a problem. Lots of bums in that area.

5. Not true Jim. Parking isn't a problem but going there on game day is a mistake. And they shipped the bums to Ballard when the Mayors convention was in Seattle (true story). That and some moved to Montana.
    Actually, there are homeless panhandlers all over Seattle. I think there's a syndicate working the Montlake area. I go through there twice a day and have witnessed the shift change. Working would be less work.
    Since Adam isn't there anymore, I won't go to OE very often. I don't use a lot of bullets.

Kent Lufkin and flyfool like this.
  6. Turns out I have wheels for my visit. Will be travelling from Port Angeles to Kingston and taking the ferry to Edmonds. From there I will head south to Seattle for and stay a few days. I'll be visiting Waters West and Patrick's on that leg. On the way back I'll be heading south to Tacoma and then back north to Port Townsend before heading back west to Port Angeles. With this new route, do I avail myself to even more fly shops of decent caliber? I know there is a Bass Pro shop in Tacoma but I'm not sure if it's worth stopping there.

7. You're going to see two really neat fly shops if you get into Waters West and Patrick's. Skip Bass Pro Shops and try to get into Pacific Fly Fishers in Mill Creek and The Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park. Just my opinion, but I think others will agree.

Olive bugger and ottorotate like this.
  8. Don't forget Puget sound fly co in Tacoma!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

Kcahill likes this.
  9. I've always got a kick out of Patricks, I like the no nonsense style and dog-in-the-flyshop feel. Plus it's close. I got to say though, after that thread came out a couple of years ago, it seemed like the service and character lifted a notch or two, not to mention the amount of tying materials, rods and other items.

constructeur likes this.
  10. Is the Gig Harbor Fly Shop worth a visit?

11. Yes.

12. Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park. Just keep driving when you get off the ferry and you will eventually run right into it. http://www.avidangler.com/

Greg Armstrong likes this.

13. x 2

14. I'm late to the party on this thread but was struck that nobody mentioned the Orvis shop in Bellevue. If you're gonna drive all the way to Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Issaquah, or Tacoma, making the short the trip across the lake to Bellevue is a no-brainer.

Unlike all the shops mentioned above, Orvis is backed by some pretty deep pockets. That means you'll almost never see empty pegs on the wall where hooks, dubbing or leader wheels used to hang in some of the other shops mentioned, but are now out of stock. Even better is the near-legendary service that Orvis Bellevue is renowned for. You don't need to be an old-timer or long-time shop patron to see the welcome mat roll out. Orvis is a particularly good choice for newbies or first-time visitors.

K

Steffan Brown likes this.
  15. I always go to the Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park. Great people and very knowledgeable. Patrick's has been a bit gruff and condescending on the phone with me when I needed a new tip top for a rod, like he was pretty sure I didn't know what I was doing. That phone call has deterred me so far, but everyone has a bad day so who knows.

16. Ditto. Not on my regular path, we boated to Gig Harbor for lunch a couple months ago, and I stopped in to the fly shop for a look see. Very impressive shop. Large, well stocked, and manned by a fun group to chat with. I'll be back when I can. Recommended.

I've thought this for quite awhile, we're blessed to have so many excellent shops in Pugetopolis. Much of the Country has a box store 2 hours away, as their best option. I guess they can thank Al Gore for the internets.

bigdood likes this.
  17. I was just in Patrick's today and it was pitch perfect. I like giving Jimmy my money as much as I'm going to like parting with it anywhere. I've seen the shop in a couple incarnations and it seems to be at its best these days.

Any transplant geezers here remember Moon's in Boise? Put an old timely lunch counter in the old Warshal's and you'd be really close.

18. It's true that everybody has a bad day,but some people never seem to have good days.

19. Jimmy has treated enough people like dogshit over the years to warrant either a going out of business sale or a change in philosophy. I'm guessing he realized that running a shop was a better option than closing one down.

Slate Run and Kent Lufkin like this.
  20. Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to visit Waters West, Avid Angler, Patrick's, Puget Sound Fly Co and Gig Harbor Fly. If I had to pick one place to go back to, Water's West would be it just because of the selection of tying material.

PT, bigdood and Ron McNeal like this.