Seattle Kman is DOA?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by slippery_whippet, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Media:
    +1
    Creekside Seattle didn't charge me the sales tax for the Redington CT I bought this summer. It felt great walking back to my car that day with the new rod tube in hand

I remember the old Kman in the old Bellevue Kmart lot. Great place, only got to go in there a few times before they closed down.

2. straycrow

straycrow New Member

I remember Kauffman's in the mid 80's when their catalog was awesome, they had stores close by, and they had a prominent presence at the sportsman shows. I never much cared for the elitist attitudes though.

Now their website sucks and the downtown store has always seemed to be closed.

Is flyfishing dying off? Is it just old farts now?

3. Chef

Chef New Member

Stray:

No. I think it's just the business cycle that continues to go around and around. I saw some young kids fly fishing one day. Kinda cool to see.

4. Hunt-man

Hunt-man Member

Now not at all. There are plenty of people taking up the sport. K's just made some bad decisions, moving expanding remodeling, just before the economic downturn. They will be missed but others will rise to replace them. Economics 101 So support your local shops.

5. megajumbos

megajumbos Brett@Creekside

I do not want to speculate on the Kman closure but this is a response to the comment about "other Seattle area fly shops" and TMC hooks. It's just one example of the difficulties shops face in getting and turning product.

While no one will argue times are tough for small business, which all fly shops are, we do the best we can. Both of our shops switched from TMC to Daiichi hooks in 2007 because we could not consistently obtain TMC hooks and we were tired of disappointing tyers... and yes, many TMC hooks were backorderd 3-4 months. Daiichis are of equal quality, much easier to get shipped in a short amount of time and we have them in stock over 95% of the time. Admittedly, sometimes our Seattle location is out of a few hooks but we also do a tenth of the tying business compared to Issaquah...having tons of hooks in stock when nobody is buying them dosen't make sense. The switch from TMC was a service to our customers whose repeated business we depend on and again TMC hooks are just one example of the difficulties in running a small business.

Thank's to all the anglers supporting their local fly shop...we love you guys!

Brett @Creekside

6. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
  7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Examples of "Creative Destruction"; the phrase used by the likes of Thomas Freidman, author of The Lexus and the Olive Tree and the World is Flat. This pandemic started long before the market crash, while no doubt that has accelerated the inevitable. It is what happens when we transfer world wealth around the globe and cheap labor and markets emerge. Did you ever think R.L. Winston would be offering a line of low end rods, made overseas? They have no choice if they want to survive in the new game. In my business, I have seen first hand what's coming and have no doubt this is but the tip of the iceberg.

I too really hate to see the local fly shops, both here and places we travel to fish going out of business. I hate to think about the day when a trip through Ennis, Dillon or West Yellowstone will not include stops at the shops to check out the racks, shoot the breeze and pick up some gear --- can't get that from the Orvis and Cabela's catalog!

8. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    talked with a friend last night who just stopped in at the 'main' kaufmans in tigard, or. zero inventory, store is a desert. he also heard that jerry swanson has departed for parts unknown. sorry to see this business sink below the economic waves ravaging our once great nation. the good news is river city fly shop is still going strong in their little hole in the wall location.

9. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    As a consumer, I want things I purchase to be as convenient, trustworthy and affordable as possible. I do a lot of my research on new products online, so naturally, this is also where I turn to first to begin shopping as I go through the process. The first websites I tend to turn to after doing my research are of places I can shop locally to find what I need. Not only is this good for my community, but most of the time if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on anything, I want to touch it before I buy. What I find frustrating is that our local shops are not up to speed with the online shopping experience; the exception being Orvis (which online doesn't really count as local). I do what I can to support my local shops and will continue to, but frankly, if it's going to be more difficult for me to find what I want at the right price before I can go touch and feel, most likely I will not be making my big purchases locally because I don't even know what they are able to offer. That's when it becomes more difficult and time consuming for me as a customer to find out how and where to shop locally. It's pretty alarming to see how terrible most shops websites are in showcasing what they offer in their shop. I don't really know how they expect to compete if they are not marketing themselves for the 21st century. That goes beyond just fly shops....

10. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I was in the Seattle Kauffman's store yesterday to pick up some tickets for the Fly Fishing Film Tour next week and boy did it looked barren in there. Both fly rod display tables were about half empty and there was a lot of open space where various product displays used to be. I hope things turn around for them soon.

11. nvgpeter

nvgpeter New Member

I was in there yesterday. I'm ready for a new vise, but Kaufman's had nothing. I don't know why suppliers such as Sage don't provide Kaufman's with display rods. If a customer purchases a rod, it could be delivered the next day. As it is, the store can't make any money because it has little to sell

12. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

How many stores / shops would Sage, or others, have to provide display rods too? If ya do it for one, ya gotta do it for others. I carry a paid for inventory and I have more incentive to actually sell it. Even if Kaufman's had more on display, they are not convenient for me to visit.

Just my $.02

MB

13. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    Had to resurrect this thread. I went in today with a very long list of tying materials I needed to restock. there essentially was nothing there to buy. I was going to start with saddle hackle and I think there were two or three packages/colors. I was so shocked at the lack of merchandise that I could only utter "what's going on". Well he'd been asked so many times before he kinda had a little melt down, something about it being a long story and what ever was going on it wasn't "in here but out there". It was surreal. Several pages back Jacob said they would continue to serve their customers...but ya gotta ask, with what? It was so disturbing I wouldn't even think of going back in and I'm sure that is a fairly common reaction. That rent can't be cheap, it doesn't make any sense.

14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    The current Kaufmann's saga reminds me of the old SNL running gag back in the 1970s about Generalissimo Francisco Franco struggling valiantly to remain dead.

K

15. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    hah, perfect

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Poor Kevin (I assume it was Kevin you saw there). I was in there back in January and it was very similar. Kevin must be going crazy "working" there. I wonder what the operating and financing plan could possibly be. Someone back in the Oregon store must be trying to figure out financing or a sale of the business or something else to reset the business. There could be no other reason to keep the doors in Seattle open.