Seattle Sea-Run Cutthroat

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Joe, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Joe

Joe Member

Where the the SRC of Lake Washington go when they get to salt water?

Does anyone fish for SRC along the beach of Discovery Park or around Shilshole?

2. rockfish

rockfish Member

rich passage and manchester, my personel theory, cause there the biggest and baddest around, major forage area for the seattle area, need boat thou, but theres spots around port orchard to fish successfully. Ben

3. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    SRCs are found on all Seattle beaches that KC has seined. Discovery Park, Golden Gardens, Lincoln Park and Richmond Beach are just some of the beaches that have them.

Basically the fly shops just send folks to fish the beach at Picnic Point, or Lincoln Park. There are many other places to fish for them.

Rob

4. eastsider

eastsider New Member

Where are the areas around Port Orchard with beach access? I've fished at Purdy and Doc's place, but have wondered about areas up north. My mother-in-law lives in Gig Harbor and we will be there this weekend. I hope to get out. Fishing the salt is a change from eastern Washington!

5. rockfish

rockfish Member

theres alot of parks around, roadrunner maps are a jewel for shorebound anglers, it sure has been mine for about 7 years since I was 16 and could drive, give it a try, find your little turn out. good fishin Ben

6. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Shilshole and Discovery have been ok for me but it's been more fun to find "undiscovered" locations around the area. All you have to do is look for beaches with cobble stones or ones that transition from sand to cobble. Also, do some exploring at low tide and make sure the beach has a decent gradient to it or channel cut through it so you know where to go on an incoming tide. Finally, look for small creeks entering the salt near the beach. If you find at least two of these elements in combination, you've probably got a winner. If you find all three, you've probably found yourself a secret "hotspot".

Good luck and if you find a spot that meets the criteria I listed above and someone is already there............stop by and say hello. It's probably me!

By the way, around April when the salmon smolts move down through the Ballard Locks, there are usually quite a few searuns and some dollies waiting to meet/eat them. Try taking a boat into the canal below the railroad bridge and cast to the banks. If you time it right you'll be in for quite a pleasant surprise.