Second Guessing SA Quad tip

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by cmann886, Oct 19, 2012.

1. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Over a year ago I purchased a SA quad tip from the forum. I am now second guessing the way that I have been connecting the tips. Which end is the re-enforced loop on the tip supposed to attach to? the body of the line or the leader? I have tried it both ways.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Run the running line loop through the loop on the tip. Put the end of your leader through the running line loop and pull it through along with the rest of the head to connect them loop to loop.

3. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Cmann generally the reenforced section connects to the running line and the loop that connects to your leader should be the other side.

4. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Thanks Thomas---that is the way that I had originally connected them but when I took a close look at the floating section, it seemed as if the taper matched up better with the welded loop than the re-enforced loop plus it was a lot smoother going through the guides---and I have been arguing with myself ever since on what direction it should go---

cal

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ive only owned an orvis multi tip and thats the way it was setup. But if you have identified the taper then you may have it right and its a poor design. You might try taking shrink tube and shrinking a small section over the welds or knots that way it will slide through the guides easier. Also If you still arent sure about which side is which tie on a fly and cast it trying both ends. You may be able to tell which casts better and its intended connection.