Second rod build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by LD, Jan 31, 2012.

1. LD

LD Active Member

Pac Bay IM7 8-4wt 3pc built with cap and ring reel seat, snake guides, Fuji stripper and Ballard silk with silk tipping. This one is for a gift. I used silk because I have a bamboo blank I want to wrap and figures I need the practice View attachment 48012 .

2. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Nice build again LD, you got me wondering about "Ballard" silk thread as I have not seen that before. Do you have a link to the threads available?

Mike

3. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Another nice build.I have a whole lot of vintage silk that was in a box of fly tying stuff i bought.I think my next project might be in silk.

4. LD

LD Active Member

Mike, I am fairly new to bamboo rods and really enjoy yours. Here is a link to to Bullard, Sylvia runs the company, her uncle started. She was very helpful when I talked to her. They also carry YLI silk as well.

http://www.diamond-ii.com/thread products menu.htm

WABOWMAN - practice a little with the silk. It is much harder to wrap because of the size. But it has a translucence (especially in the sun) that you can not get with anything else. I experimented with a few color preservers and found Al's color preserver from Anglers workshop the best. Try a sample stick and see what you think.

5. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Thanks for the info.Did you ever try no preserver.That is how i do my wraps now to get the translucent look?

6. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Thanks! and thanks for the link I had not came across Bullard yet. They have some nice looking colors in their silk that I might have to try.

Mike