Seeing fly at dusk

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave Evans, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I don't know why I try to explain things to you all, I know what this is. Besides I'm fishing here in Montana. This is where there are fish in just about anyplace there is water running down hill.
  2. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +439 / 0

hahahaha. Jim has been busted.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Not really. I'm through reporting on how I'm doing and where I'm fishing at. I've had enough shit from everybody.

I know where to have fun and from now on I'll keep it all to myself.
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Awwww... :( no way! Keep the little creek reports coming. Heck I'd have fished that sweet spot by the diversion too!!
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Jim if you stop giving reports I will never learn about fishing in Montana. I sure as heck don't have a lot of prospects of actually
    getting there and wetting a line. Give me a break and brighten up
    my day once in a while.
  6. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 0
    I used to take more pictures of fish. A few years ago, for each nice fish, I tried taking a picture of the fish and the lie where I caught the fish. I found that the pictures of the water were much more interesting and informative. Now, I take more pictures of water and streams than of fish, which all look pretty much the same.

So, Jim, I appreciate your picture; I can look at it and imagine catching the fish. I can't do that when I just see a picture of a fish!

D
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Well maybe I'll relent. But This creek I went to is only about 20 minutes from my house here in Dillon. And here I've been going up into the hills about 60 miles from home to find solitude. I'm going back up there next week and taking my other toy with me. Many places to explore and can only get there with an ATV.

Plus I get to catch EBT that have some very nice colors. I wish I wasn't so fumble fingered so that I could take a few pictures of fish. But I don't think that is going to happen. I should have three arms with hands and then I would be able to do more than just release the fish.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    When one goes fishing and there is catching involved. One does get excited about it. When I fished in Washington I never caught the fish that I catch now. I feel that it's a privilege to have fun while one is fishing.

I don't have many years left to fish as the getting around is getting harder to do, so having fun is the thing. While I still have my health I'm going to do it as much as I can.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I understand about that getting around part. Seems like all the good looking water requires a climb down a steep bank to get to it.

My steep bank climber ain't in such good shape.
  10. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    About seeing the fly at dusk, I find that getting my eyes as close to the water as I can helps. So does positioning myself so that I can use something in the background to give me some contrast to the water and/or fly.
  11. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I don't wade nearly as deep as I used to and I still take more dunkings. It seems being able to see has a lot to do with footing and balance, who knew!

I can still see fairly well at distances but I can't tie a fly on without reading glasses. I tried bifocals but couldn't see down with them and stumbled around the river like I was drunk.

Hate to think I need a pair of floaties.
  12. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +294 / 0
    I ties alot of hairwings with bleached elk
    very easy to see even in low light
    down to size 20s