Seeking saltwater advice

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Salmo_g, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I don't know, maybe that should be "desparately seeking . . ." I have kept putting it off for what seems like forever. It looks like every river I might fish this weekend will remain blown out, and I always tell myself that the south sound fishery would be a good back up plan. Yet I never go. But I need to get out and stretch a line, so maybe this weekend.

I read that south sound SRC fishing holds up well into winter because most of the spawning tribs are small streams that the mature fish don't enter until shortly before spawning, which is many months away. This should be a perfect fit for a weekend steelheader who is at the mercy of unfavorable water conditions much of the time.

Since public beaches that are also good fishing beaches are in relatively short supply, I'll plan to use my boat, so that gives me miles of beaches to scout, looking for what? Shallow, gravelly, points, incoming, outgoing, obvious signs of bait, and what else? I would probably launch from Boston Harbor in Budd Inlet unless someone says that's a bad idea, and another launch is a better place to begin exploring from.

Is it more productive to fish from the boat, or beach it and walk along casting and covering the close in area? Wear waders and be prepared for both?

From reading this forum occasionally it seems like a 6 wt and intermediate line is most popular, and I have those, altho it would be a first trip for the intermediate line. SRC box has flies I use in freshwater, but I think I've read that spiders, both forward and reverse, are also good in the salt. And some small clousers in olive and white or chartruese and white. I don't think I'm ready to tie or try any amphipod patterns. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for pointers, hints, tips, and lies - if they're good ones.

Sg

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

wear waders, ive never fished from a boat for src,

throw in some pink over white and red over yellow clousers and you are probably set.(some days when nothing else works red over yellow will). I normally bring 2 reels so i have the floater and the intermediate, at low tide ill even throw the clousers on the floater. You named most everything to look for, just look for a rip and cast over it, fish will let you know pretty quick if they are there.

I have only fished as far south as you are once or twice so i have no idea on specifics.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I think Roger Stevens is the man you need to talk to. He fishes the south sound from a boat and can likely help with where to launch and what to look for from the boat.

I have limited SRC fishing experience so take this with a grain of salt, but for me going out on the boat is somewhat daunting. This is mainly because there is SO much water to cover. Just starting out in the saltwater SRC game I would be more inclined to stick with a beach known for decent SRC fishing and start there. But either way, just think of areas that a trout would want to be: they need food, cover/security, and current. Look for areas that would concentrate bait (current seams, points, etc), have bottom structure and/or deeper water nearby, and have a decent current - all the same things that make for good water in a river.

Gear:
    Sounds like you have a good handle on this. 5-6 wt (I like a 6wt) with either an intermediate or floater. Intermediate from a boat and one or the other depending on the beach you cast from. The flies you mentioned are a good start. You could try some poppers or squid patterns too, but I usually start with a baitfish pattern.

There are many on here that are much more knowledgeable than I am, so hopefully they add to this.

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Salmo_g,

You can do well for cutts in MA-13 from your boat or from shore, it's worth the trip either way. Fishing can still be good in late November for them as well. If it was me, I'd plan on boating along beaches in the vicinity of known cutthroat streams. Troll cutt flies (Dehlia's squid, small clousers, small shock&awe, orange/white beach flies, etc) with a 6 weight on a clear intermediate line until you start getting hits, then cut the motor and cast to shore while drifting with the current. Launch when the tide gives maximum water movement (preference for incoming or outgoing depends on the beaches you fish). Consider the Nisqually delta area, east side of Harstine Island, or Cutts Island SP areas if you want some alternative locations. You don't necessarily have to fish over gravelly beaches to catch cutts, they actually like to hang around sand dollar colonies too.

Good luck,

Tim

Bob Triggs likes this.
  5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

And here we are in the same club and you never asked - cobbled beaches, moving water, don't fish the slack tides, 6wt rod, dryline w/ 9' 1X leader, intermediate 4' 0X leader, small baitfish streamers (I would have given you a popper and told you how to fish it), from a boat cast to the waters edge and strip back, if you can't see the bottom, you're too deep, fish clear water, don't fish roiled brown water, cutthroat move a long ways from their natal streams, pick a beach, work it and move on if no action, my popper is best searching pattern.

Leland.

Bob Triggs, Dan Nelson and Eyejuggler like this.
  6. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

just found an old copy of NW Fly fishing 2006. nice article by Mr. Miyawaki.
    re-reading it very carefully.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  7. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

I will send you a PM with my thoughts either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Roger

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Thanks everyone. I think I have the gear, maybe not all the best flies, and some basic understanding of the fishery. Just wanted to check and see if I've overlooked any critical aspects.

Leland,

Thanks, I'd love to try the popper, and I never asked because, as you can see, I never get around to the salt water fishery. I think first I need to "turn the corner" and actually put my boat in the water and begin checking things out. I bought the Lund in 2003, and I've never had it in Puget Sound, the salt water that is closest to home. I'm a river fisherman at heart, so I go steelheading, and when I do fish for SRC, it's usually the Queets, Humptulips, and even the Cowlitz in the fall.

Thanks also, Roger. Looking forward to it. If you're local, perhaps we could meet up and fish once I graduate from "cracker" status.

Sg

Hector likes this.
  9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Once you try it, you'll never go back. There are so many places to fish and a constant variety to choose from it's difficult to go back. Your boat will serve you well.

10. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

My gray sky and green water day was wet, and cold, and unproductive.
    I kept the bottom in sight, mostly. I paddled into almost a hundred feet of water at one point, but paddled along shoreline, mostly,with my Lowrance beeping at me, talking to me in two dimensions. My line was floating. I tried a popper, I tried a clouser. Mostly, though, I tried to keep upright and out of the way of big aluminum boats with nearly the horsepower of the car I had on the beach.
    I didn't get any indication from my rod that there were fish in the sea. But I know they are there. Casting, stripping, paddling; kayak fishing is a busy business.
    There is tomorrow.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Look out! Did anybody warn the cutthroat, yet?:eek:

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Looking forward to your report Salmo. We are really lucky we have the salt resource to fish when things are blown out.

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Fished the morning flood. Clear water=good fishing. A nice mix of searuns and silvers to the popper.

Leland.
    photo-3.JPG

14. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I fished the morning flood myself. First cast, fish on! Fishing a popper and the fish was on after the second hit. Of course, not other fish to hand for the morning. I did have quite a bit of activity with the popper and it is great to see those fish roll on that fly. What a hoot. Quite a few sea runs going airborne.

Bit of help here Leland. I had fish swirl on the fly numerous times,I am guessing the same fish coming back for another try. What should I do after that initial attempt?

It was great to be out. Was thinking about it yesterday, glad I waited.

One other out there today. He brought two to hand when I talked to him.

Gotta remember to watch those cargo ships passing by....

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Keep stripping. You're not setting on the swirl or grab are you? You need to strip strike, so when the fish misses, you're still in the game.

Leland.

16. Bradley Miller

Apparently they were well warned.
    I think my time ratio spent paddling to fishing was something like ten to one; and I was at the tail end of the flood tide, as well. Early afternoon the wind died, the sun came out, the water cleared a little and I had a little beach all to myself that I could never have accessed without my boat. Did some practice casting. Anyway, I then wandered upon a flock of duck hunters who were quite friendly, but I elected to keep them that way and called it a day. Bucked the wind all the way back to the ramp; but it was a good day anyway. The sonar said there was life in the water; I think next time I'm going to rig my 6wt Echo with a popper and my 8wt Korean hand me down with a clear intermediate line and see what happens. Report summary: no fish seen, except for the bait fisherman in the other kayak I saw who is having flounder for dinner. Hmmm.......

17. 5weight

5weight New Member

Media:
    I would not count on the movement of Cutts as described by season. In September and October, I have caught large SRCs(20-21") fresh from the salt in small creeks as the Salmon runs begin. I find the beach fishing to be very good in February and March and good at other times.

18. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Leland:

That is what I was looking for as far as advice. I'm sure that you got me right on the hook set. No set, just keep stripping, got it. Now I just have to remember.....

Many thanks for the comment / suggestion.

MB

miyawaki likes this.
  19. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Stripping with two hands with the rod under your armpit also works. A steady strip mimics perfectly the reel wind in; slow and fast, herky jerky is good; and you absolutely cannot "trout set."

FYI: I am speaking on popper fishing this coming Tuesday evening at the Alpine Fly Fishers.
    http://alpineflyfishers.org/index.html

Leland.

Bradley Miller likes this.
  20. Bradley Miller

Are guests invited?

miyawaki likes this.