Seep Lakes Question - Selective Regs

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by LT, May 3, 2006.

1. LT

LT Member

Media:
    Didn't want to hijack the other thread regarding which lakes are currently selective reg lakes.

My question is WHY is there only one selective reg lake in the Seep Lakes area? With all those lakes you would think WDFW could throw fisherman looking for selective reg lakes, a couple more bones.

Have there been proposals in the past to turn additional Seep lakes into selective reg waters?

2. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    What percentage of the fisherman who use those lakes are interested in C&R and flyfishing?

I'm guessing that the vast majority of the people who fish there are more interested in taking home a cooler full of stocked trout than maintaining a quality fishery.

Although they aren't listed officially as selective fisheries, I would almost consider a lot of the hike-in lakes to be similar to the selective reg lakes, just because not many people want to put in the work of getting to them.

3. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    Too far to hike in a cooler and lawnchair = quality fishing lake

4. PT

PT Physhicist

Alot of those catch and keep lakes have good numbers of large fish that are more than willing to eat a fly. Why can't someone else fish 'em with their preferred method?

5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

The way it was explained to me was that selective regs lakes generate so much more traffic than the average general regs lakes that it is almost the kiss of death to assign a lake special regs status. In the Seeps the theory seems to be that with so many lakes and so many of them far from the roadhead human laziness provides enough protection for the fish to grow fat with relatively little disturbance. I don't have much experience at the Seeps but thanks to Sparse I at least have a game plan. I can do my homework and play hunches and then walk a lot to find waters that might be almost completely neglected.

Since fisheries in the Seeps are extremely cyclical you have to keep track of what was stocked or rehabbed when and react to that in subsequent years. For instance several lakes were rehabbed recently and at this years opener they were just hammered by meat hunters who took home lots of 16'' fish. Most of them in fact. So those lakes have depleted stocks in them now as they are small to begin with and can't hold large numbers of fish even in the best of times. Those lakes will give up the occaisional fish over the next few months and traffic will just naturally coast to a halt. But a handful will survive and next year they will be 22-26'' fish with a massive girth. Those fish will be worth the wait and the walk in even if you only land one the entire day.

So you can begin to see why a lot of information isn't readily published about detailed fishing in the Seeps. In some cases you have to track a lake for 2 or 3 years before you feel confident that you will be able to drive all the way out there,do the hike in and expect to catch some memorable fish. It makes little sense to come home from a trip like that and blab on the internet that "we caught over a dozen fish above 20'' in Lake ****** or in ######## Lake."

I think the non special regs approach is working pretty well so far and would be reluctant to see any more fly fishing only water out there. Many lakes are 'special' right now inasmuch as you have to make the effort to find and get into them. Just not a lot of people willing to deal with the snakes and the ticks to get at those fish. Ive

Ivebrakesforlakes

6. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Ive, I could not have put it better ! The Seeps are funny in that you get a secret hot lake that the word gets out and it gets hammered for a couple of years and then everyone forgets about it. They all go in cycles . I like the hike in lakes but the well known cranker lakes are way more predictable and are always my fall back options if the hike ins are a bust.