Seeps lake? Lenore? Lenice? Somewhere in Oregon? Need a place to go...

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutfanatic, Mar 7, 2005.

1. troutfanatic

troutfanatic A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.

Hello all,

Two of my buddies and I are looking for a place to go fishing/camping on the eighteenth of this month. We plan on going for at least three nights and four days.

Where would you guys recommend. We like to camp where we can be as loud as we want (ie drinking) but be able to get some quality fishing in.

Oh and one of the guys is a gear fisherman.

All your ideas help.

Thanks

Troutfanatic ptyd

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Quincy wildlife area or potholes\seep lakes area are bait\gear friendly (for the most part) and offer plenty of camping options. There are usually a few camps in each area with loud and obnoxious drunk guys - so you guys sound like you'll fit right in ptyd

(just clean up after yourselves...)

3. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Check out the John Day River in Eastern Oregon if something different (like smallmouth bass) appeals to you. I've been researching it for a spring trip. What I'm reading says that this time of year is when the biggest bass are caught while the most are caught during the summer months. There is good information about the area on the internet and there is at least one float guide that has been published.

Good luck :) :)

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    the John Day can be a blast. I jhave never fished it thsi early but we do float trips down it during the summer and there are lots of smallies in there.

5. Hooked on Fishing

Hooked on Fishing Shawn

chadk has some good points. You are also a short drive to Lake Lenice which would be a day well spent. I saw some folks camping out in their RV's in the parking lot and a few camping in tents besides the parking lot. There is an outhouse at the trail head, but that's about it.

Shawn

6. troutfanatic

Sounds like potholes resivoir it is. Maybe on the way home we can hit rocky ford as well. I have never been there and it seems like it would be a blast. Thanks for all of the suggestions. The john day river sounds interesting, maybe we will hit that the next weekend. I have almost two weeks off so I do have some time.

Thanks again and we always pack out what we pack in.

troutfanatic

7. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Mar Don Resort has a little store that will sell you a nice map of the seep lakes area. If you don't have one, stop by and pick one up. There are lots of lakes to explore - some (often the better ones) are hike in and many others you can drive to.

8. troutfanatic

Thanks Chadk. I saw the Mardon resort at the sportsman show in Monroe and that is where I got the idea to go to that area. Your right a map is key in that area and I guess the trout fishing can change substatially from lake to lake and from year to year.

Troutfanatic :thumb:

9. sea

sea Member

Media:
    I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone recommend the Lower Deschutes. You can camp at several different primative campgrounds (w/outhouses). You can fish one of the best rivers in the West for steelhead and large, feisty native redside rainbows. IMO, It is a superior river to the John Day unless you're interested in bass. The McKenzie is another great trout river with some good camping.

10. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    I'll second that. I'll bet you could have Mack's Canyon darn near to yourself this time of year and if you did, it could be an awesome venue.

I love the river but I've gotten tired of the intense regulation of the lower Deschutes. A guy would at least have to be prepared to put up with it and these guys wanted to drink and be loud. Maybe it wouldn't be a problem this time of year. Maybe it would. On a float trip last spring, in one day, we had 3 enforcement dudes, each from a different jurisdiction, come through our camp checking things. Over 4 days, we didn't have one day where no one checked. That plus the cost of the permits (Oregon license, boaters pass, Warm Springs Indian permit) is what drove us to start checking out the John Day.

Don't get me wrong - I will be back on the Deschutes this year because there is nothing like it. But be prepared - it is what it is and it may not be what these guys are looking for.

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would recommend the Upper Elwah, about twenty miles in on the Elwah Trail! :clown:

12. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    how long are you willing to drive? If you have four days i would consider an out of state trip if i were you.

13. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    I would just no stay at the resort if I were you. There are many places to "boondock", if you didnt need any trailer hookups.

14. troutfanatic

Huh, the Mckenzie, Elwah and the lower deschutes. All sound good. I was hoping to stay in state to get more fishing time in. My fishing buddies just want some solitude and some drinking. I would preferably spend all my time either fishing eating or sleeping.

How is the upper deschutes? I would love to see some of those redsides. I am trying to make this trip as cheap as possible and it sounds as if I would need two more licenses for the lower deschutes. I mean if its less than fifty bucks I could do it.

Where is the Elwah river located? I've heard of it before but never looked it up.

Thanks for all the great imput. I love this site.

Troutfanatic :beer2:

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Don't give him to much info,he gets lost going out the door in the morning. :p

Jim

16. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Loud! drinking! party camping! and a gear fisherman!!!
    Some place far away from Eastern Washington The enforcement agencies are on the lookout for people like you. They confiscate all of the fishing gear sell it on E bay to pay for campsite clean-up. :thumb:
    Maybe a nice bar in Belltown and a fishing trip on Green lake would work. Think of all the gas you will save. :rofl: :rofl:
    Blessings
    jesse clark

17. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Member

I'm with Jesse on this one. I have had more than one camping trip ruined by loud, drunk neighbors keeping me up all night long. If you're into that, do not stay in a campground - find some isolated place way out in the sagebrush at least a 1/2 mile from your nearest neighbor.