Seiners

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SciGuy, Oct 18, 2011.

1. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    There are 8 purse seiners working the point just North of Kingston right now. There are 3 more in the bay and a tender boat for them to off-load their catch onto. Anyone know what they are targeting? Chum?

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    My bet is chum, the only species timing that makes sense. They pounded the chum pretty hard last year.

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

SciGuy -
    Yes chum -
    You can find all you want about Puget Sound commercial salmon seasons at

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/commercial/salmon

"MA 10
    Open 10/18 from 7:00AM to 6:00PM release Chinook and coho."

tight lines
    Curt

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was out mile north of appletree cove in kingston and they were stacking coho big time! Glad I got at least one out of my boat before they destroyed that area for the week. Got about 200' from the nets and for sure they were Coho mixed in with small amounts of chum, bout' 3 boats within' a 5 mile stretch.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    The tribes have netted the mouth of Big Beef Creek on the Hood Canal now for about a month, no let up, NO coho left. They are wiped out. Thank you. Why Why Why? 50% of the catch? BS!!

6. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

I really fear for our salmon fisheries. How can the state allow this to happen. We are witnessing the wholesale destruction of our salmon runs and there is nothing we can do to prevent it. Between the tribes and the commercials there will soon be nothing left.

7. widmn

widmn New Member

You put too much faith in our Gubmint idiots.

8. herl

herl Member

How does commercial harvest of washington salmon make any financial or biological sense?

9. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Once they (commercial and NA's)
    wipe out the chum runs I guess that
    Coastal Cutts are next.

There has been zero return of chums in
    many south sound and canal rivers and creeks
    for the past 2 years and I don't expect that to change
    this year....hope I'm wrong.

If all nets were banned in Admiralty Inlet for 5 years
    it would make a positive impact on all saltwater fisheries.
    BUt that would be a long term solution
    instead of the quick buck
    to buy that new truck.

Dave

10. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

I ran in my boat from belfair half way up the canal 2 weekends ago - nets at every point, sometimes two and nets in some bays. One net stretched over half way across the canal. Made me feel ill. The fish don't stand a chance.
    Mike

11. dryflylarry

Media:
    Can anyone explain this to me? What's the business about tribes get 50% of the harvest. No, I didn't read the Boldt decision lately. I probably just don't know what I'm bitching about, other than, the salmon are getting RAPED!!!!!! I am sick when I think about this. I meant to call the tribe today and got too busy and forgot. I wanted to know the minimum mesh size for the beach seines. Last year I measured one at 2-1/2" square knot to knot.

12. redlodge

redlodge New Member

This thread has caught my eye. I was wondering if they were going to net the S river runs this year
    and this answers my question. Fishing as we have know on these rivers is now history. I never in
    my wildest dreams could imagine how this could happen on the Sky which I consider my home river.
    They have manged to net most of the fish out of existence. Until the political climate changes
    in Wa nothing is going to happen. Probably too late by then.

13. Chloe's DAD

Chloe's DAD New Member

It is very sick i was in ollala fishing one eve on mon and i had a kid with me that has never fished let alone been in a drift boat and there was some puyallup nation boys and on the beach there was a fellow fly guy an lady minding there buissness and the punks set there net next to him and wrapped it around and totaly screewed his peace time and there were a few words exchange thats bullshit and if he was to call the warden for harassment the warden would have to call tribal police and there would be nothing done so my question would be is there a law that says if a sport fisherman fishing waist high in salt is it legal for the salmon raipest to net you with there set?

14. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Media:
    My question is how do you release chinook and coho that have been tangled up in a net and dragged out of the water? For some reason I think mortality rates would be very high.

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I'm new to the area and don't know all the history on these fisheries, but the commercial and tribal netting makes me sick! This is also why I think it was a terrible idea for them to take out the dams on the Elwha. They think they can start and manage a new salmon fishery when they can't even take care of the ones they have now. All it will be is another depressed salmon fishery that the natives wipe out, and the best wild trout river fishery in western Washington gets killed in the process. Awesome...

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Larry, I have pondered this for a long time, and the only answer that I can come up with is "revenge." Native American netters are exacting their revenge on the decendants of their former conquerors, now that they have the legal ball in their court. The being once imagined as the "noble savage" never existed in reality. That mythical creature was an invention of early American fantasy authors.
    Now, I'll bet the Native netters wake up every morning laughing their asses off, still not believing the unfair advantage that the Boldt decision handed them.
    Actually, I think its a "goat's head soup" of greed, short-term thinking, revenge, and plain stupidity.
    But then when I drive into the heart of the Puget Sound area, everywhere I look, I see evidence of the same kind of thinking and ignorance. Too many people, too much concrete, endless sprawl, too many cars. Everywhere I look, I see us humans engaged in a race to oblivion.

17. dryflylarry

Media:
    I just got off the phone with a Skok Tribe officer and asked questions about beach seine sizes. He told me that it is supposed to be minimum opening of 3-1/2" although the center, as it is pulled toward the beach to engulf the fish may be smaller. He also described a "set-net" which is still hooked to the beach, but is anchored out and left, then pulled in. The minimum size is 5" (I forgot already, since I'm old, he may have said 5-1/2"...). He did mention that is the S'Klallam Tribe that does most of the netting north of Ayock Rock in area 12 on the Hood Canal. He mentioned that the tribes and WDFW get together with their biologists to determine seasons, etc. Basically, the season for the tribes easily runs full time from the end of August into December gathering coho and chum. Go figure!!! ............

18. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

That was me and my wife. The Puyallup's were targeting Coho. I initially told them that the state law prohibited sportsfishermen from messing with commercial nets, and vise versa they replied, "whose law" "the white man's" "not our law". I realized nothing was to be done other than to make matters worse. They got a little agitated after the guys on the bridge yelled at them so I got my wife out of there.

It left us feeling sick as well.

I suggest that this next February 12, the anniversary of the Boldt decision we all meet at the grave site of Judge Boldt to take a collective piss on his grave.

19. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    This is the question going through my mind. If it wasn't for the native American part, I'd ask the question if we stopped commercial fishing in the puget sound, would net revenues from sports fisherman increase far beyond what commercial fishermen input into our economy. I think we have passed the point of sustainably supporting both interests. I got to believe commercial interests harvest way more natural resources and hatchery fish than sport fishermen and pay little in $/fish.

With the Boldt decision, it won't matter. We can say commercial fishing doesnt make sense any more. We could price commercial and sports fishing equitably and kill commercial fishing. The native Americans will F#$k the whole thing up anyway.

Joe

20. herl

herl Member

The native rights do complicate things. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is much of any net revenue from non-native commercial salmon fishing in the US.

Cost to fishermen: Boats, fuel, equipment, time

Cost to the rest of us:
    Hatchery programs - Financial and biological.

Bycatch - is not good.

Subsidies - Public funding for private parties to overexploit a public resource ..A very strange policy. I don't know what the current status of subsidies are for operations in WA state, but I know they have gotten some (not even counting hatchery fish).

Reduced fish populations - This is the big one, but hard to quantify b/c there are always other factors to blame for the loss of fish (dams, habitat, fish farms, marine survial).. The fact is that the commercial fleet (and native netting) ensure that even if the fish are doing well and returning in numbers, only the bare minimum will be allowed to spawn, and die, and fertilize the rivers for the next generation. This is at the expense of every other living thing in the region, including anglers. I think reduced numbers (especially of wild adults to the spawning beds) is the biggest risk factor for salmon/steelhead populations. It leaves no room for error, and no possibility for real recovery.

Payoff to the fishing industry: I don't know, maybe 50 cents/pound? I imagine much less for the chum we are talking about here.

Payoff to the rest of us: ? We have the option of eating wild Washington salmon. Some people get some satisfaction out of knowing a traditional industry still exists..

It is hard to imagine it is worth it. Other regions seem to have figured out that sportfishing is a more sustainable and profitable use for wild fish. Commercial fishing was shut down for striped bass on the east coast (intermitently as it turns out), and for redfish in the SE (along with a general net ban), and those fisheries have rebounded in a huge way. Large organized groups of sportfishermen like the CCA are a big reason that interests other than commercial fishing are being considered in fisheries decisions. In the PNW it seems like sportfishermen are having a hard time organizing in a meaningful way, and there is the Boldt decision..

Still, I think that pulling the US commercial fleet would be a great start - it would take away the 'who can get more?' dynamic and may lead to some internal reevaluation of the tribes' policies. They would be in a position where they have to justify their actions without anyone else to point to.