September Fly Salon - General Practitioner

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jack Devlin, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    I thought we would stay with steelhead flies. How about a General Practitioner?

The GP is most often the first fly I tie on when fishing the rivers of the Olympic Peninsula, especially the Sol Duc. It is an "old" pattern and can be tied simple or complex in many styles and colors. Great fly to have in your box and a good pattern for newer steelheaders to learn.

The best description of the original General Practitioner I have found is that given in Trey Combs' book "Steelhead Fly Fishing". It can be found on page 405.

Many, many variations of the GP out there. Think shrimp/prawn.
  2. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Great choice Jack !!! love the fly, especially the original, but I like them in a few other colors too.....Thanks, Colonel Drury
    ( the originator) very original thinking on his part....
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +765 / 0
    Tried it, I think this is a little too full, but I thought a darker color variation would be nice. Ill bring more if you show me where you fish em:) IMG_7894.JPG
    Tacoma Red and constructeur like this.
  4. Jack Devlin Active Member

You've got yourself a nice spey fly there, Pat. I'm liking the Regal vise, too. What hook is that? I like.
    :cool:

Jack
  5. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    ha, regal vice:rolleyes:. Thats a $40 knockoff that I have to replace before I attempt anything smaller than a 14.
    I tied that on a AJ 3 gold. BEP for the hackle and bronze mallard for the collar over a rust angora body. Ive been using peacock for antennae on my crawdad patterns so I added a few strands to this one
  6. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    Not a GP but here are a couple low water summer patterns I tied last night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378990135.977199.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378990152.360504.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378990168.510710.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378990182.177486.jpg
    McNasty likes this.
  7. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 1
    this is fun! just tied my first one and its nice but with some different materials and some parts are crooked. ill post when i get one i like.
    constructeur likes this.
  8. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Here's a couple of GP's, the orange one is closer to the original, at least what I remember, and the pink one with mono
    eye's is like the one's I used to tie for a shop, also in a few other colors. I like the tippet eye's much more but the mono is much faster to tie....

Attached Files:

McNasty and Tacoma Red like this.
  9. Jack Devlin Active Member

Nice GPs Mark.
    I notice that you tie the "head" (the first GP neck feather) in concave side down. This is how I have always done it too.
    However, I just took a look at Trey Combs' tying instructions for the GP and see that he says the "head" is tied in "concave side upward". In fact, he calls for two neck feathers the second of which "lies over and matches the first".
    I am wondering if Trey's description is, in fact, the original way? I'm wondering too if maybe a mistake was made??? concave up/down?????
    I tied them both ways and I hope it is clear in the photo.
    Jack
    View attachment 32908
    McNasty, Tacoma Red and Mark Mercer like this.
  10. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    "Heres something we hope you'll really like!"
    Took a little time on this design, This is the fourth one I tied before I was set on the steps.
    I think this mini GP is worthy of catching my first steelhead, should I ever get off the beach or the dirty, dirty cedar and attempt it. You were saying something about gps coordinates to your secret spot on the Sol Duc?
    IMG_7925.JPG
    McNasty, Jack Devlin and Mark Mercer like this.
  11. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Nice one Pat !!! Looks real shrimpy to me....

Jack, Interesting I've never seen one tied like that. It makes no sense to me, I think it looses that shrimp profile when tied concave side up....
  12. Jack Devlin Active Member

I'm thinking there is a mistake in the tying instructions. What it should be is: one neck feather tied in concave side upward and the second neck feather tied in concave side down on top of the first and matching in length. I tried it and it looks good and I think is what the originator had in mind.
    I'll post one later.
    Jack
  13. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 1
    here's what ive come up with so far, the top ones my fav so far.

P1010159.JPG P1010160.JPG P1010165.JPG
    Mark Mercer, Jack Devlin and Pat Lat like this.
  14. Jack Devlin Active Member

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich, and General Practitioners. That- that's about it.
    Chad Lewis, McNasty and Mark Mercer like this.
  15. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks Bubba. :p
    McNasty likes this.
  16. Jack Devlin Active Member

Inspired by a great meal (ginger shrimp) I had at a restaurant this weekend, I tied up this GP:
    a GINGER PRACTITIONER.
    Jack View attachment 32971
  17. floydiology board to the new

West Linn
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Great collection of GP's presented. Interesting to see all the various renditions. I used to tie these for Bill McMillan years ago and we used to tie them on the heaviest - biggest hooks that we could find. They were ugly on those big irons. Nowadays, I just use a sink-tip if I need to get down. I like the grace of a salar hook that this one is tied on.
    [IMG]
    Chris Johnson, kelvin, Bugsy and 4 others like this.
  18. Jack Devlin Active Member

One more way of tying a GP.
    I came across a couple of these in one of my fly boxes. It is the way I first started tying GPs with Golden Pheasant breast feathers used as the hackle and the carapace. Heavy hook. View attachment 33028
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  19. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +285 / 0
    beauty
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  20. Jack Devlin Active Member