September on the Lochsa

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by lochsabound, Jul 4, 2006.

1. lochsabound New Member

Wasilla, AK
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I used to live just down river from the Lochsa, so I can't resist one or two trips a year to fish over there. I think I know every hole, every riffle, every rock on that river. September is my favorite month to fish the Lochsa. The sights and smells just can't be beat. You can guarantee you will find me on the river every September.
  2. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Those are some nice cutties. Hope to head down that directions someday. I have a buddy that goes to the Selway every year...just for camping in a beautiful part of the country.
  3. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Thanks for the reminder. I usually make my way over there or to the NF Clearwater every year and sometimes both and sometimes more than once. I'll be camping on the Selway August 20-23 but I'll have the grand kids to entertain so won't fish as much as usual. That whole area is beautiful.

Randy
  4. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I was there for the first time last summer. Can't wait to get back, with more time to explore the next trip. Way too beautiful, superb fishing.
  5. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    have you ever caught any steelhead on the lochsa? i have found august to be a slow month with only smolts and small cutts. mike w
  6. lochsabound New Member

Wasilla, AK
    I have never fished for steelhead on the Lochsa, i usually stick to the Clearwater for them. Late July and August stick with Woolly Buggers and fish them in the deep holes to pick up bigger fish. I also like to weight down a Muddler, i have had very good luck with that in the hotter months for some reason.