Several threads there on 'what line should I get.' Simple answer to all.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Oct 6, 2013.

1. true dat. but a catch 22. its alot easier to get your technique nailed down when you are throwing a well matched line. alot easier when you arecasting a fairly popular rod, made by a company known for their spey game. good luck dialing in an orvis rod.

2. I really appreciated the discussion here. It also drives home the fact that even though I can cast a spey, I really don't know squat about this incredible rod other than it's Scots history.

3. I agree. I'm not jedi with 2H rod but the logic is simple...the rod designers engineered the rod to perform within a grain window. Optimally...in my opinion...that window is narrower than people would have you believe. Not that a wide window isn't valid, just that the designers very probably had a specific grain weight in mind and the window is just a bonus due to the technology and the versatility of graphite, etc..

Practically speaking, what that means is that the best advice for getting started is to match a good rod with the recommended line weights...recommended by either the rod manufacturer (preferably) or the line manufacturer.

Learn to cast that setup. Stick with it until you are sure you've got it. The rod can be cast...very well...with that line, guaranteed. Take lessons if necessary.

Then and only then decide to widen your window until you find a weight/length/style of casting combination you like

4. This is an interesting thread. There are so many good lines that cast well right out of the box when matched to the rod and the type of casting. That said I have also cast some of Steve's lines and been satisfied with most but cast a couple of dogs also. I find that most guys in the 2 handed game are looking for the silver bullet when it comes to equipment but most of the time it is the caster that is the issue. And until the mechanics of the cast are by and large correct, it will not matter what line or head the caster is using. I say this from experience. 20 years ago I got my first spey setup and struggle greatly. After 2 years I took lessons and was able to cast the same setup easily. Figure out what kind of caster you are, top hand, bottom hand, mix and short stroke or long stroke then acquire rods and lines that match your style.

macSuibhne and Ian Broadie like this.
  5. There does seem to be somewhat of a catch 22 here. How does one find THE line they like best when they are first starting out and may not yet know what the right line feels like?

I relied on the person who gave me spey lessons and who owns a shop, to recommend the correct line for each of the several rods I purchased. Once I was comfortable with spey casting and those rods, I arranged a dial-in day with folks who had a complete set of scandi compact and skagit flight heads and tried lines one size above and one size below those initial selections and made a final selection of the lines that felt right to me. Most of them were identical to the initial recommendations, but there were two that I felt needed heavier heads.

If you are already an experienced caster you might not need to go through all this, but it seems to me that most of the folks who are asking these questions don't have that experience yet. They need someone to help them along the experience curve to start.

garthman