SF Clearwater

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Codioos, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Hey all, I'm new to the site and wanted to get my feet wet. Ive been getting the itch lately and need to find somewhere to throw my line. Has anyone tried the south fork of the Clearwater lately? Or is it too muddy? :hmmm:

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Road trip.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

You're good to go. Fishes good off color.

4. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Is the Steelhead fishing good on the SF Clearwater this time of year? Enough water?

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Depends on what you consider good. There are fish and water. Like the rest of us, the rest is up to you.

6. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Heh, I should have seen that answer coming.

7. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Its at 425 cfs, drive fast man, thats prime flows! Weekend will be a shit show though.

8. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Just got back from 2 day trip on the SF Clearwater. The river looks awesome but the fish just aren't there yet.

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Lol! Yes they are.

10. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

11. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Hehe. Saw a few rise but unless you are fishing choke points with snagging gear or bobber/shrimp then wait 2 weeks. I tried all my sweet spots and they just havnt stacked up yet.

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

My buddies were there two weeks ago and got 20 fish between 3 of them, both swinging and nymphing. How do you have sweet spots when you're asking us where to fish while also getting skunked 2 days on the SF, which I thought was impossible this time of year. Don't mean to bust your balls, but come on now!

13. ribka

ribka Active Member

Fished the main stem of the CW last week. Water was falling. 8 hookups and 4 native hens landed in 2 long days of fishing.

Ended up using beads. First time I tried them. They are effective

14. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Pardon my ignorance on this fishery, but my curiosity has been piqued.

Is this fishing for summer steelhead that entered the Columbia system 9 months ago and are now in the upper reaches of the tributary systems while in spawning mode? Is that a correct assumption, or am I totally off? Are these wild fish, or hatchery fish?

15. N-forker

N-forker Member

Yup-
    Summer Run fish- predominantly hatchery. "Pounding the nest..."
    I've been there- buddies are there now texting hero shots, but not for me.
    It's a harvest fishery, and can be fun. Just not my Steelhead Experience of choice.

16. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

I was so curious I actually went to YouTube and watched a video some "guide service" put out. This guy is running a jetboat somewhere on the Upper Clearwater and his clients are wailing on steelhead (gear not fly)...the video shows his clients winching up a bright red unclipped steelhead (which I assume is a wild fish), laughing and frolicking while it bounces around in the bottom of the boat and then he proceeds to tell his client to "toss him back in"...which the client willingly does by launching the fish over the side of the boat back into the middle of the river. Crazy stuff...

17. ribka

ribka Active Member

I think only about 30-40% of the hatchery fish are clipped on the CW according to F&G.

The fish I caught were not clipped but did not look like natives.

18. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

The SF is great.... if you don't get bombed by gear chuckers. My two biggest steelies are from that river, 45 mins apart. I was pooped after that! Nothing like the westside chromers I'm sure, but I'll take 18 and 19 lb pound slightly spotted fish anytime. One spooled me out four times.

I've noticed however, that you have to think "outside the box" there. Some folks seem to forget, that steelies will take the path of least resistance when heading upstream. That is true anywhere, but really seems to be the case on the SF. I've stood in the water there, 1 ft deep, and had two steelies swim 6" from my ankles.

19. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

My buddies were there two weeks ago and got 20 fish between 3 of them, both swinging and nymphing. How do you have sweet spots when you're asking us where to fish while also getting skunked 2 days on the SF, which I thought was impossible this time of year. Don't mean to bust your balls, but come on now!

-No worries man, I have been fishing the upper SF for a few years now but have only been there in May. I didn't know what March had to offer and what the water was like. I stick to the SF from the Idaho Mt Road that leads south from Grangeville and fish upstream from that (avoids all the road chuckers). Did your buds fish near Harpster? I was throwing purple pats, nymphs, swinging purple woollies and even used beads. Sucks I didn't even get a bump, and your right that it's unheard of to not have any action with that kind of water. All of the sand and gravel bars were bare. Oh well I'll give it another go in a few weeks.

20. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Those fish must be black and gray by may. Shit, the early a-runs are almost ready to move in by then.