SF Clearwater

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Codioos, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Check your regs. I'm pretty sure that season closes 4/30
    and targeting steelhead after that date is .illegal

2. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

this thread is like a bad fatal car wreck, no matter how much it turned my stomach, i still read the next post. i've heard about the mentality on the clearwater this time of year, just didn't realize there were so many fly? "anglers" participating.

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

if you are truly that passionate about the steelhead fishery on then CW then start sending letters, petition the ID F&G to get the fishery shut down earlier in the year .Whining on here won't do any good.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Hydrological, embarrassing would be the best way to describe it. The mentality over here is totally different than on the west side. Most people don't understand the life cycle of a steelhead and don't understand the difference between a chrome and beat up fish. They don't understand the difference between a summer and winter run fish. If its in the river in January, it must be a winter run fish, right? The SF is as much a donkey show as any fishery you've ever seen. It is what it is. If you go into it knowing that, it can be both comical and fun. If you're expecting a classic steelhead experience you will be traumatized for life. Having said that, I'm driving 9 hours tomorrow to fish the OP.

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I love chrome as much as the next guy, but if I lived on the eastside and didn't have too many more options, I'd probably participate too. It's all about opportunity, and if it's close I can understand. The thing I don't get are guys going from Seattle to that fishery. That in my mind is inexcusable.

6. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Yeah, kinda like the hen in your avatar that you picked of a "nest"? The smug is strong in you!
    We have caught fish WAY brighter then that in the SFCW.

7. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

This......

Still pissed I cannot make the trip with you guys. I know, priorities.......

8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    "...The SF is as much a donkey show as any fishery you've ever seen. It is what it is. If you go into it knowing that, it can be both comical and fun. If you're expecting a classic steelhead experience you will be traumatized for life..."

That's some funny stuff! Sad, but true. Holy crap can it be true.

9. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Yikes. The last thing I wanted was to cause a mess like this. I had never fished that river in March and was just looking for some helpful info and what to expect. I'm fairly new to the steelhead gig and would like to get better by going more and more often. My experience thus far is to hit the upper part of the SF. I probably should have tried Harpster and downriver as I heard there was more fish activity there. I'm also tring to get better at swinging in the pools of relief water just above the fast water the steelies have to navigate up. Like I said, I will try to go back for another day or so in a few weeks.

10. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    I am guilty of beating up on those poor old rotten tomatoes. Those fish have such a tough road, getting netted and put in barges or trucks to get around the dams. Then they run a gauntlet of nets and gear to their final destination where there are people fishing 24 hours a day with battery powered bobbers and glow in the dark shit on their jigs/corkies/whatevers. I have got to wonder however, why would anyone want to close the fishery? It is such an artificial fishery as it is, and despite what the adipose fins say, IMO 99% of those fish come from the massive hatchery program. It's all so perfectly Idaho.

Codioos and bigskyx like this.
  11. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Benjy, I agree with you, but I think that the SF actually has more than you'd think of a true strain left. I'm sure it's small, but big enough to attempt maintaining. I'm not positive, but for some reason I have a memory of talking with a fish bio from that region. Not only that, it's a money maker. Folks from all over come to fish it.

12. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Last year we were about 30% native and 70% hatchery. And the crap those fish have to deal with is worse than the bobber guys. There is a whitewater choke point where a group of seems like 10 trucks sit and snag. They go all day and night and I think they have an actual shift schedule. After dark they put up a huge construction light powered by a generator so they can see the water. Idaho.....

13. Ray

Ray Active Member

Sadly, the SF steelhead fishery is 100% hatchery because the old Harpster dam didn't have fish passage. Similarly, the Clearwater chinook hatchery was killed off by the Lewiston dam.