SF Stillaguamsih

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by twofattys, Jul 23, 2002.

1. twofattys New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    We are planning a camping trip along the SF Stillaguamish this weekned and would like to get out on the river. Anyone have any information as to how the fishing is? Any hot patterns currently?

Thanks,
    Tim
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,664 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

This one is my favorite river. I tend to use small flies,such as a Stimulator,Grasshopper,Royale Wulff.Elk Hair Caddis. Of course it will be crowded. And with the good weather comes people swimming in the river or floating in it. Good luck on finding Fishable water.

Jim
  3. Finspot New Member

West of Cascades, WA
    What's a rough breakdown between resident fish and anadromous in the S. Fork? The water is gorgeous looking, heck it begs for a cast, but don't you risk hooking a lot of smolts with a dry fly?
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +435 / 0
    As with virtually every other westside river that allows free access to saltwater, the overwhelming majority of "trout" in the South Fork of the Stillaguamish will be parr and smolts of salmon and steelhead. The major exception to this will be when the sea-run cutthroat return to the river from about mid-August into the fall.
  5. Finspot New Member

West of Cascades, WA
    As I suspected (since I haven't actually fished the S. Fork, but have driven by it countless times). I don't mean to impugn Old Man, but it seems to me there are a lot of folks who fish such waters and don't realize they're catching parr/smolts. "Great day on the Stilly for trout up to 8 inches" is unfortunately a common refrain on our local BBs. Drifting an elk-haired caddis over hungry, inexperienced parr isn't much different than shooting fish in a barrel. That said, there are still plenty of West Side streams that, because of falls and other impediments, have resident trout that can be a blast on light tackle.
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,664 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

I know that there is nothing much in the way of resident trout in the river. But he asked and I told. 98 percent of all streams/creeks running into Puget Sound Have Smolts/parrs in them. This subject keeps coming up and and I'm not going to answer it any more.

He asked about the S/fork and I told him. I know about a lot of places that don't have steelhead or salmon in them. But if people would put a little time into exploring. They could find them too.

Jim :SAD