SFC-Back to the float tube

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Wayne Kohan, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I have gone through many boats over the past few years, trying to find the one that makes me happiest. I sold my Scadden Assault and used the proceeds to buy a Super Fat Cat, along with the backpack straps and the boat bag to store it in. I decided that I mostly used my fins for movement, rarely rowing, and I did not like not having an open front end to fish through. And it was harder to get the boat to the lake and to get it ready. But I still wanted to sit out of the water and so settled on the SFC.

So far, so good. I like the light weight of the boat, I like how it travels through the water, propelled by Omega flip fins. It takes about 5 minutes for inflation with the electric pump and K100 pump. It is super comfortable to sit in. It has adequate storage behind the seat.

Some minor issues though. While it only weighs 12 pounds, that is before you add all your stuff, including a 5 pound anchor. For the walk to the lake, I filled the pockets and attached my fins and lunch box. That made it heavier of course but also added the weight farther from my spine and pulled the boat away from my back, making it feel heavier. On the way back I carried my fins and lunch cooler and that was better on my back. Probably should carry the anchor as well. If anyone has a good way of carrying things, let me know. Other issues are not being able to get my feet out of the water to warm them up when the water temp is 40 degrees. Finally, you need to have a game plan if you are planning on leaving at a certain time, because rowing quickly across the lake to leave is not an option.

In any case, happy so far, but check back in a year or so, and I will probably have something new again.

Wayne

2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Wayne, right off the bat-get a waist strap! Even with the factory back straps my SFC always rolled side to side as I walked. And loaded up as you mention it is even worse. I know I hiked over 1,000 miles back in the '60's with a Kelty pack on my back. Without a waist strap I couldn't have done 1/3 of that. I use about a 2 1/2'' strap that has a big quick connect snap buckle in the middle. Try it, it is a cheap and easy fix for a problem that will never go away without it.

Ive

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Congrats, Wayne! I retired my Wind River tubes & bought a SFC last year. It's very comfortable, reasonably quick (for a float tube, lol), and I like sitting higher. I'm also experimenting with a Nucanoe this year (on water to which I can drive fairly close); so far, I'm also enjoying this, plus the paddling is great exercise. When I hunted geese on walk-n fields I used to transport silhouettes, ground blind, & gear on a deer cart; it worked very well although I didn't have to traverse much sand. Just a thought; you'd be welcome to try mine as a transport accessory if you'd like.

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    So Ive, I think I have the same Kelty pack you have. The purpose of the hip strap is to transfer some of the weight from your shoulders to your hips, as well as some stability. Is that what you're doing with the strap? And when I backpacked, I was taught to keep the heaviest stuff closest to the spine and higher up. The problem I had yesterday was that everything I added to the tube to carry was far away from the spine, trying to torque things backward. But I will try the strap. How do you connect it to the boat, or other straps?

Wayne.

5. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

You don't need a 5lb anchor. We have been using a 1.5lb foldable claw anchor on our tubes for decades. It will hold you in any amount of wind, you just need to let a little more rope out in strong wind. My friend Jim and I are both over 6', and weigh more than 250lbs. If these little anchors work for us, they will work for any average size angler. :)

Randy

Ron McNeal and Patrick Gould like this.
  6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    This is so true. As long as you get the claw to set you're in good shape. This just requires you to get some angle to the line. Straight up and down won't work so well.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Hmm, I bought one of the Outcast anchors for float tubes a few years ago and it never seemed to work well, it has the claws, I always angle my anchor lines, and it did not work well at all. By the way, once I was on Lenice and double anchored in a pontoon with a 5 and a 10 pound anchor, a large gust came through and I moved about 20 feet dragging the bottom with both anchors. Yes, I quit fishing at that time.

Wayne

8. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

i have never used an anchor with float tubes. i dont mind kicking a bit to keep in one spot. keeps my mind on the line/indicator. what do you guys use to keep your net on the tube when walking or on the water ? i thought straps would work. going to try a retractable line for it when i am fishing so as not loose it. its hard to carry the fins/rod and tube all at the same time.

9. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Not sure which anchor you have tried, but the one linked below is what we use. My friend and I have nearly 70-years combined float tubing between us and this anchor is what we have always used. Only very rarely do we find a hard enough lake bottom that the anchor won't grab and hold. When there is just a nice light "Chironomid chop" on the water we can run the anchors nearly straight up & down and we stay put nicely while bobber fishing.

I can't imagine not anchoring when bobber fishing. Often we are right on an edge and the location is crucial.

If it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work..., but for us the 1.5lb claw anchor works very well.

Randy

Float tube anchor.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...SBC;MM;cat104721480;cat105607080;cat104334480

10. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

I use an anchor and kick to battle the wind and still sometimes I give up. Do you spend much time in E.Wash as the winds can be quite the challenge compared to fishing the west side (where I am originally from).

11. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
  12. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

13. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

when i use my float tube, my each fin is clamped to a D ring using those round platic clips to mount to shower curtain rods. I store my net in a storage pocket or use chord to tie it to a D ring. I then just carry my rods.

14. Triggw

Triggw New Member

Not familiar with your lakes. Are there rocks around? Get a basketball net. Find a suitable rock on site. Put it in the net and tie up with a short piece of rope. Makes workable anchor, and carrying the basketball net is easy.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  15. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I just use a mesh bag and fill it with rocks. way easier. Dont be using my rocks though.

Gary Knowels likes this.