SFR: A good flask......?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Oct 25, 2012.

1. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That would be nice. I've seen smaller opaque plastic flasks with silver (colored at least) lids in travel stores. Not sure of size but think they make assorted.

2. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Maybe the problem isn't the flask. Maybe you just need a bigger jacket.

3. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I have one from Filson that I've owned for several years. It's a classy looking flask and holds enough whisky for a solid day of fishing (or a half day if you're sharing :)). Have never had any problems with it and it looks like it is built to last a lifetime. I think if you don't want these things to leak, you probably should not store alcohol in them for long periods of time.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    That is probably very true.

5. TD

TD Active Member

My brother has this one too I believe. We've shared many a sips along many great rivers and lakes here on the west coast. I don't know of it ever leaking. I CAN tell you this. Topping it off with one brand of whiskey without remembering what is already in it, isn't such a good idea. It can make Maker's Mark taste like something you'd use to strip paint off an engine block.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I have a little 4 oz. stainless steel one that is very hard to fill, and even with a tiny funnel I always over fill and spill. I got the REI 12 oz one last summer for the Dean River trip. It's too small for 8 days. I think a one liter water bottle might be right for multi-day trips. The 4 oz has always been enough for day use, for just me.

7. TD

TD Active Member

I once filled a nalgene bottle with Chardonnay and stuck it in my buddies backpack when we hiked in to a lake for an overnight fishing trip. It was about a 6 mile hike in. When we got there and were setting up the tent I snuck the bottle out of his pack. Later when we went fishing I stuck the bottle in the outlet stream near where we camped. We kept a few fish for dinner. I had brought a couple small walla walla sweets and a garlic clove. We cooked the fish in butter with garlic and the onions and cooked up some top ramen. As we started to eat I said to him, "you know what would go really good with this? A nice cool glass of wine." He said, "oh man don't start saying stuff like THAT." I got up and retrieved the wine. It was nice and cold and as I poured some in his plastic coffee cup he said, "I can't believe you packed a bottle of wine all the way up here." I smiled and simply stated, "I didn't. You did." :D

8. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL that reminds me of a line in Clint Eastwoods climbing flick..."The Eiger Sanction" after he and George Kennedy top out on an ascent of the Totem Pole in Arizona.

I have to say I really like my Snowpeak flask, pricy but super sexy and light :)

http://www.snowpeak.com/tableware/flasks-bottles/titanium-curved-flask.html

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Another amazingly classy option that seems to fit your exquisite taste and budgetary concerns...
    [​IMG]

kelvin likes this.
  10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Yep

11. MarkS

MarkS some guy

I will second the stanley...although after several years of nothing but good, I got a brand new thermos from them which didn't hold heat for sh!t. I contacted them many times and never heard back. I figure they are a company with a great product should you get a decent item...but if you get a lemon, you are hosed on customer service.
    Anywhos, the linked flask came on woot and I nabbed it for around $6. It is larger than the common flask (9 vs 6oz) which can come in handy depending on how the fishing is. It does have a separate rubber grommet for seal which can fall out but the cap is bigger so finding a replacement is easy.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Classic-Stainless-Steel-Flask/dp/B004E7NYAS/ref=pd_sim_sg_5

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Try dreamdriftflies.com. They have a selection of 8 oz. flasks @ $27.99 that feature fish patterns and river camo as well as numerous other fly fishing accessories.

13. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    A good friend of mine (Oldgoat) has a flask that is similar to those for the gas additive stabil (HDPE Dispensing Bottles). He got it at a health food store. You give it a squeeze and it fills a once or two oz. in a upper resivoir and take the pull from there. If you fumble the flask you only loose a ounce or two, handy later in the day. It really is the nats ass for passing the peace:)

66098p.jpg

Mike

14. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

One thing I learned, don't fill it all the way up. I can direct you to a very fine, engraved stainless flask on the botton of Blue Lake near Oroville. Two thirds full it would have floated.

15. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Now THAT is clever.

16. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    Plus it floats!

17. William Fifield

William Fifield Santiago, no fish in 84 days.

Cool flask.

18. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Media:
    My favorite flask is one that starts full and ends the day empty :)

In all seriousness I am not that picky and have not had leakage problems with my cheap stainless, no name flask.

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    My flasks are in my pocket upright most of the time. When not upright the damn thing is leaking its tasty contents right into my gullet.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  20. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    montana fly co